X

16k service questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16k service questions

Sooo.....my finances are not what they used to be so thus service won't be done in a shop.just want to know what i should inspect and what tochange.
    I will be changing to fluids, engine and forks plugs and filter.
    Now should what else should i look into?
    A wise man can learn more from a acting fool
    Than a acting fool can learn from a wise man

On what bike?
    Which model year?

Comment

Download a manual from the wiki above.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

The first thing you notice if you RTFM is that there is no "16K mile" service. Based on that fact, I'm guessing slim to no maintenance has been done to your motorcycle. I'd suggest looking at the 4K mile service and doing everything it recommends.

Comment

I know there isn't an actual 16k service I was meaning what to look out for since that is the millage on the bike.
          It's a 00 kat 600 and no I'm not to savvy on bikes maintenance I'll admit.
          Was just asking in case there was something the manual didn't say.
          There was a little maintenance done to the bike from a shop but not being there only know what they said was done, fluids, plugs, some system check.
          So what I'am asking, is there anything I should check specifically on the bike at this interval.
          But I'll be dl the manual

Comment

brakefluid, fork oil, engine oil, oilfilter, airfilter, thats what I would change, and ofcourse inspect the bike properly , are all the lights working, tires cupped ? brake pads getting worn out ? any slack or noise from any part of the bike ?

leave the spark plugs alone, they will last you 50 000+ km
            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I would add to the above, get the torque spec page from the manual and check all the bolts from front to back.
              Kyle

Comment

I'm always of the mind that if you get a new to you bike, or bike you don't know the history of first hand... Assume all checks have not been done at all, ever... or not done right, ever... and start your first one with a full check of everything on the list.

Then... then you can start going by the normal scheduled item checks.

It's all in the manual.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I would at least take a look at the spark plugs, if anyone of them are fouled up; you might need a valve adjustment.

Comment

Think my plugs were over do ehh?

When i first got my in feb this yr i put her in the shop for a "service" 4k miles shouldn't do that to plugs should they? Now I'm curious on what they didn't do

Comment

Originally posted by Kensilly View Post
                      When i first got my in feb this yr i put her in the shop for a "service" 4k miles shouldn't do that to plugs should they? Now I'm curious on what they didn't do
                      Look at everything they were supposed to do and just figure they didn't do any of that.

Comment

If they did get replaced, you're running super lean. I accidentally skipped one replacement interval and ran a set 2x as long - I know my bike is lean and they still looked way better than that.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I'm jus shocked this happened with this shop, been going there for 2 yrs now, originally started with my zx6r, and now I'm thinking what they may have not done and charged me for
                          following the manual, this weekend I may not be riding but going through the bike

Comment

It's not just that shop, it's EVERY shop. That's why your best bet is to learn how to do the stuff on your own. It's the only way you know it was done correctly.
                            Originally posted by Kensilly View Post
                            I'm jus shocked this happened with this shop, been going there for 2 yrs now, originally started with my zx6r, and now I'm thinking what they may have not done and charged me for
                            following the manual, this weekend I may not be riding but going through the bike
                            Last edited by arsenic; 06-26-2014, 07:24 PM.

Comment

The only reason I'm shocked about this shop us my dad and the original owner were good friends, now it's the son of the original owner running it, oh well, so after the plugs and a little carb cleaning and adjustment i can hear a slight clatter, the manual doesn't say anything about this noise. It it's coming from the area around the cooler, seems about mid section of the motor, could this be valves?
                              I know valve clatter on a car and it sounds similar

Comment

Working...
                              X