X

Helpppppp

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helpppppp

Hey guys, so I'm having an issue with my 93 Kat 600. I'm almost positive its a fuel delivery issue but I'm still a newbie so everyone's opinion is more than welcome. So yesterday I rode with a friend of mine all day, nothing far, just around town. The Katana was perfect the whole time, not a single issue. Then after hanging out at my buddies house a while I went to ride home and thats when I ran into trouble. Its only like a two mile ride and about halfway home I noticed the throttle was being really sluggish. I had to twist the throttle all the way just to maintain speed and even still it was decelerating. When I pulled in the clutch to slow down for a turn the engine completely cut out. I tried to start it on the side of road but it just wouldn't turn over. I turned the petcock to prime for about 30 seconds then back to on, started right up. Then the same thing happed again about a half mile down the road. I finally got her home but it was super frustrating. I exerienced this problem a couple weeks ago when I cleaned the carbs because I forgot to hookup the vacuum line (whoops lol) but everything is connected and nothing seems to be kinked so I have no idea what the issue could be. Theres fresh gas, the tank is clean, and I took off the petcock to make sure the filter was clear and it was. Any ideas people? I love riding and the weather has been perfect so I'm really bummin right now. Thanks guys in advance!
    93 Katana 600
    98 ZX6

Low enough on fuel to be ready to be switched over to reserve possibly??? Prime freeflows from the lowest part of the fuel pickup tube., Also make sure the vac hose isn't cracked.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

Do you have an inline fuel filter installed?

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It has an tallish orange filter that is attached to the top of the petcock, I'm assuming that's stock? I'm still just over empty and looking in the tank the gas comes up to atleast the flat part of the tank so I don't think that's low enough to need to be on reserve
        93 Katana 600
        98 ZX6

Comment

Originally posted by Flippacase View Post
          It has an tallish orange filter that is attached to the top of the petcock, I'm assuming that's stock? I'm still just over empty and looking in the tank the gas comes up to atleast the flat part of the tank so I don't think that's low enough to need to be on reserve

It's a 5.2 gallon tank. Reserve is needed at an average of 2.8 - 3 gallons down. So even with the tank over 1/3rds full, it's still going to need reserve.

Test it on reserve. Does it work?

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

reserve is with the knob pointed forward, correct?

totally dumb question, but I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. The bike re-fired just fine when I changed over to (what I assume is) reserve, but I only had 60 or 70 miles on the tank. No way it should have been below the "on" petcock setting.

I was hoping my petcock is just dirty. gotta check that this weekend. I drove to work today just to be sure I wouldn't get stranded.
            -Chris
            **if what I said can be taken two ways, and one of them offends you, I meant it the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by rk97 View Post
              reserve is with the knob pointed forward, correct?

totally dumb question, but I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. The bike re-fired just fine when I changed over to (what I assume is) reserve, but I only had 60 or 70 miles on the tank. No way it should have been below the "on" petcock setting.

I was hoping my petcock is just dirty. gotta check that this weekend. I drove to work today just to be sure I wouldn't get stranded.

If the gas level in the tank is higher than the petcock and your having to use reserve, then your having a flow issue. Kinked fuel line, faulty petcock, using inline fuel filters, so on...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
              X