Newbie from Scotland...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie from Scotland...

Hi Everyone,

Just bought my first Suzuki GSX600f yesterday. She is a 2000 plate in Black and so far so good

1 have a dew quickies that I hope some kind people can help me with. Apologies if this is in the wrong section

1. The speedo is in KPH rather than MPH - is this unusual, particularly as the bike is UK registered ?
    2. What are the 1-4 settings on the front brake lever?
    3. What are the 2 flat head screw settings on each side of the handle bar for?
    4. What approximate range will I get to a tank before reserve? Does a reserve light come on to give you notice to switch to reserve? Sorry don't have service manual to check.
    5. From cold she turns strongly but usually takes 3 seconds to fire up - unlike when hot and it is usually instant - usually overnight or after a few hours there is the 3 seconds - is this normal?
    6. Are there any issues that I need to look for now or be made aware of?
    7. Sorry for the silly question but I presume Katana and GSX00F are the same bike?

Thank you in advance
    Attached Files

Welcome aboard!
    There's a manual available for download one the wiki, the 1st section in particular might make for some interesting reading.

1. Can't help ya there...
    2. The brake lever is adjustable. Spin the dial and the brake lever moves further away/closer to you. When I was new, I set it to the furthest position away from my hand so I HAD to let go of the throttle before braking. Brake once or twice while you're still on the gas and you'll know what I mean. Most people set it somewhere that is comfortable once, and never move it again though.
    3. Those should be for your suspension - they're directly atop the forks yeah? They don't really do much, but in theory turn one way and suspension firms a teeny bit, turn the other way and it's a bit softer. 4 settings, make sure they're both at the same setting. Don't force it to turn, if it won't turn easily, it's already maxed out in that direction.
    4. No reserve light on these bikes. Miles per tank varies with the overall health/setup of the bike. It should be between 40-50 miles per gallon. Tank is I think 4.5 gallons, but you'd have to double check the manual there. If the petcock is in the on position, you'll start to run low with about a gallon left. Switch it to reserve and now you can use that gallon. But better start looking for a gas station.
    5. Are you using the choke properly? Doesn't sound terribly abnormal, battery may a bit weak.
    6. Maintenance - do it. Unless you have a full service history of the bike, assume nothing has been done and everything is due. None of the maintenance is hard if you have a place to work and a manual (again, go get it from the wiki). I'd start with an oil change and flushing the brakes right off the bat, and if anything screams for attention, take care of it now too. Then maybe tackle one thing every week or two until you're all caught up.
    7. Yep! . There's classic katanas ('8...7? and before, pre katanas, '89-97, post Kats 98-06. For the posts, there's a 98-02 subset you fall into, some parts are specific to that date range, others work n the entire post range. There's 1100s, (89-93) 750s and 600s. All Katanas.
    Last edited by shpielers; 06-15-2014, 11:33 AM.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
      Welcome aboard!
      There's a manual available for download one the wiki, the 1st section in particular might make for some interesting reading.

1. Can't help ya there...
      2. The brake lever is adjustable. Spin the dial and the brake lever moves further away/closer to you. When I was new, I set it to the furthest position away from my hand so I HAD to let go of the throttle before braking. Brake once or twice while you're still on the gas and you'll know what I mean. Most people set it somewhere that is comfortable once, and never move it again though.
      3. Those should be for your suspension - they're directly atop the forks yeah? They don't really do much, but in theory turn one way and suspension firms a teeny bit, turn the other way and it's a bit softer. 4 settings, make sure they're both at the same setting. Don't force it to turn, if it won't turn easily, it's already maxed out in that direction.
      4. No reserve light on these bikes. Miles per tank varies with the overall health/setup of the bike. It should be between 40-50 miles per gallon. Tank is I think 4.5 gallons, but you'd have to double check the manual there. If the petcock is in the on position, you'll start to run low with about a gallon left. Switch it to reserve and now you can use that gallon. But better start looking for a gas station.
      5. Are you using the choke properly? Doesn't sound terribly abnormal, battery may a bit weak.
      6. Maintenance - do it. Unless you have a full service history of the bike, assume nothing has been done and everything is due. None of the maintenance is hard if you have a place to work and a manual (again, go get it from the wiki). I'd start with an oil change and flushing the brakes right off the bat, and if anything screams for attention, take care of it now too. Then maybe tackle one thing every week or two until you're all caught up.
      7. Yep! . There's classic katanas ('8...7? and before, pre katanas, '89-97, post Kats 98-06. For the posts, there's a 98-02 subset you fall into, some parts are specific to that date range, others work n the entire post range. There's 1100s, (89-93) 750s and 600s. All Katanas.
      I appreciate the helpful advice mate.

I tried to lift the tank today as I wanted to loose the scottolier. However, I could not lift it from left side for some reason despite fairing bolts being loose and 2 top ones (near tank bolts and near screen). I know the fuel tap is there but am I missing something as I could not get it up and past the tap to allow me to lift from left side

Also, does anyone know the fairing bolt size that are under the headlight?

Thanks.

Comment

The tank is tricky to remove if you leave the plastics on. I'd recommend just pulling the plastics so you can have a good look and know for future reference what you're dealing with and have a better idea of how to remove things. With a little practice it only takes 20 minutes to pull the fairings and tank. There's 2 bolts at the rear end if the tank closet to the rider, you got those removed yeah? It's probably just hanging up on the petcock.

Why ditching the scottoiler?
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Yes 2 tank bolts removed. Yes it looks like i may have to remove the left fairing (fuel tap side).

Not a scottoiler fan mate. I'm a wurths dry chain lube man.

You wouldn't happen to know the size of the fsiring bolts under the headlight by any chance and where to get them?

Cheers.

Comment

Not off the top of my head. I have to work on mine a bit today, I can check. As far as where, any hardware store should carry the correct size. Bike shops usually have bolt kits that have an assortment of sizes as well, but then you're generally buying more than you need.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

I would appreciate that. Thank you.

Comment

On mine, the fairing bolts are 5mm thread, 3mm allen key fits them and there's two plastic rivet clips at back holes, since your from Fife, maybe your near enough to Cupar motorcycles, they stock some fairing bolts and can order what you need if they haven't got them, hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Taybiker View Post
                  On mine, the fairing bolts are 5mm thread, 3mm allen key fits them and there's two plastic rivet clips at back holes, since your from Fife, maybe your near enough to Cupar motorcycles, they stock some fairing bolts and can order what you need if they haven't got them, hope this helps.
                  Cheers Taybiker

Do you know if the two bolts under the headlight are still 5mm thread? I appear to have fairing clips in there instead of bolts for some reason...

What is the reference to the plastic rivet clips at back holes mate?

Cheers

Comment

Hey mate - the 2 bolts are 5mm as Taybiker said - 5x.8mm. There's 2 bolts, and also 2 plastic clips. I've been trying to figure those clips out for a while now myself, even ordered a few things I *thought* were correct....they weren't...parts diagrams at bikebandit.com and ronayers.com weren't really any help and they're usually excellent. I lost both 5x.8mm screws due to vibrations over the last 50k odd miles, replaced mine with some SS bolts from the local hardware store. They're not button caps, so I just added in a washer. 4mm Allen required now instead of 3mm, but works just fine.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

Comment

The black plastic clips are like rivets, you push the middle through gently then the clip can be pulled out.

try this, think it's 14,15 your talking about, http://www.babbittsonline.com/oempar...allation-parts

Comment

I have ended up leaving the two holes that had the plastic push pins empty. Has not had any vibrations or problems being gone but plan on using something on them. I hate those push pins. Maybe they are easier to use when there not 16 years old.

Comment

point 5

Do you leave the bike on the side stand or center stand at night? It is the side stand it may take abit of time for the carbs to refill.

Comment

Thank you for the help. Taybiker great find

Bike kept on centre stand sonic.

Comment

your welcome Delbhoy40

Comment

Working...
                              X