X

Should I buy a 93 1100 F?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy a 93 1100 F?

There is one near me with relatively low miles and the price is right. What I'm worried about is finding parts and someone that is able to work on it. I am mechanically limited to doing most of my own maintenance, but anything more demanding I have to take it to someone. Also, common problems? What to look for? Is it reliable? Any help is much appreciated.

Body parts are the only items that are rare and not available from the dealer.
    The rear shock will be shot just like and bike that is 20+ years old. Everything else is manageable. Fun bike, I really like mine.
    '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

If the price is right and you like the look of it what are you waiting for ? you do have to accept that you'll need to throw some money and time at it - it's not a new bike you see and previous owners do some weird shit/don't look after it etc etc. Count on replacing tyres, chain and sprox, fork seals plus you'll probably have ageing damper issues, crash damage, odd wiring problems and some carb cleaning to take care of not to mention the usual servicing items: oil, filters and plugs.
      They're not difficult bikes to work on and you'll love her once you've done all that

Go for it ! (and then post up some pics) Colin.
      Carpe Jugulum...
      1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Hurry up and buy it before its gone!!

Comment

When you say limited to doing maintenance, what exactly do you mean? Any bike this age will need some tlc and most of it would fall under the maintenance category. If you're comfy/able greasing bearings/bleeding brakes/changing fork seals/valve adjustments/carb cleaning - go for it! If you're limited to more basic things like oil changes...I'd recommend getting something newer that doesn't need anything done to it. If you have to pay someone to do all the general maintenance things it probably needs, it's going to wind up being pretty pricey.
          They're reliable bikes when cared for. Only issue that's specific to these (as opposed to old bikes in general) that I'm aware of is dragging clutches that make neutral harder than normal to find.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. To answer your question(s), I'm waiting for a day off! In regards to the maintenance, I've never done most of those things, but all of them are not impossible. Bearings and bleeding brakes are probably within my grasp now, the rest would probably take some trial and error. Valve adjustments seem not too bad. Worst part is pulling all the stuff around them off. I should be able to see it either today or tomorrow. Heading out with a trailer and cash in hand, so if I like it, no hesitation.

Comment

None of it is honestly very hard, just time consuming especially the first couple times you do it. I started out not knowing much either, between this site and the manual, there isn't anything I haven't been able to tackle on my own yet. Start with the basics, build up some confidence, read, reread, ask questions, read again, and dive into some new things.
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

The big kats come apart real easy, you just need a little space to put parts while you work and some time to do the work.

Buy it, you know it makes sense

Colin.
                Carpe Jugulum...
                1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

If the price is right for you, I'd say go for it

Comment

Working...
                  X