X

Ideas for my 89 'Teapot'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for my 89 'Teapot'

Hi there, i bought my 89 GSX750f late summer last year, rode it in all weathers everywhere, now i came to MOT it early this year and it failed quite miserably, so why stop at just fixing it for its mot, wondered if you guys had any cool ideas for what i could do, was thinking some kind of streetfighter, but some of your input and ideas would be amazing

When i Bought it :

After some motivation this afternoon:

There is no way in hell that I would chop that up, way to clean and in stock form to boot. Getting hard to find clean OEM kats.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      There is no way in hell that I would chop that up, way to clean and in stock form to boot. Getting hard to find clean OEM kats.
      +1
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Heya, it may look clean, but there are dirty great big cracks and chunks out of the fairing, would you suggest just getting some new fairing and keeping the stock look? and perhaps maybe some new fittings, also does anyone know if there are any other compatible rear shocks from other models? im struggling to find a new rear shock for mine! p.s. would it be easier or cheaper to repair the current fairing?

Comment

I wouldn't chop it.. but that's me.

I do find though, the placement of the "slider?" in the top pic to be one of the biggest facepalm funny things I've seen yet. Not sure exactly what that's supposed to do for the bike. The tab that it's screwed too under the plastics can be bend with your bare hands... much less if the bike falls over.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            I wouldn't chop it.. but that's me.

I do find though, the placement of the "slider?" in the top pic to be one of the biggest facepalm funny things I've seen yet. Not sure exactly what that's supposed to do for the bike. The tab that it's screwed too under the plastics can be bend with your bare hands... much less if the bike falls over.

Krey
            Haha, the sliders were there when i bought it :P

Comment

Originally posted by Danhutch View Post

I wouldn't have commented on them if I thought otherwise... Prior owners do some of the darndest things.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

If you have anything to work with keep it stock. You will tend to see that a good looking stock pre will get everyone oohing and awing over it.
                A RARE good looking Kat street fighter will get some recognition for the work done but the only one that would want it is someone without a bike or a worse one.
                I admire a good streetfighter, I just haven't seen one that started life as a Kat.
                But, its your bike. Do whatever makes you want to ride it!

Comment

Hi Danhutch

Just picked up a kat myself Cat c 750 (91-92 model) and stripping her down
                  You can find this in the long term project section on here

For me the teapot doesn't lend its self to not having a fairing but just my personal feeling

Think you can get a replacement fairing from a company in the uk seen them on the bay but there £200 also you'll have the painting cost on top of that

Good luck with your rebuild

Comment

Kats make terrible looking street fighters.
                    Ron
                    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Here's a link to them fairing you'd have to check there are the pre models

Hope its of some help

Comment

Originally posted by Danhutch View Post
                        Look on the bright side. If your worried about hot asphalt you just need a good corner of a building! Lean the bike against the wall on the slider and there you have it. No tipped over bike and no unsightly scratches.

Comment

Hey, It failed the mot on Rear shock having no dampning whatsoever, notches in the head Race Bearing, floating disks 'floating' too much (< very annoying) handlebar fouling the tank (easy fix) and i think thats about it, but the guy that did the mot gave me a lecture about riding this thing away from the test centre being an extremely bad idea And upon taking the thing apart there was some blowing from the second spark plug from the left, but believe this will just be a case of the seal being broken around the plug. As of yet ive not found a single aftermarket rear shock for my model, and the 'OEM' one from a dealer will set me back over £500 .

One more thing, I'm struggling alot to find fairing with the same paint as mine, either my fairing colours are very rare, or they were aftermarket, not sure how i would find out though

P.S. After some research, it turns out that the fairing i have, only appeared on the 88-89 model that i have, so i guess rare it is
                          Last edited by Danhutch; 05-11-2014, 02:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Most of the GSXF models only used the same color and or decals for a year or two max.

There are several alternatives from other bikes or different models for a rear shock. I would suggest you consider one that is rebuild able. There are several theads about them here.

Having one rebuilt will be cheaper, but work 10X better than a new OEM shock.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

thanks for the feedback, if you have any advice on the plastic repairs it would be extremely welcome, at the moment im setting up my homemade beadblasting setup much fun and useful for future projects i will probably repair and repaint the fairing as close as i can to original

P.S. ive moved this thread over to the 'Long-Term Projects' part of the forum, see here >>http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=134337
                              Last edited by Danhutch; 05-13-2014, 03:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X