Strange Noise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Noise

Hello,
    I have just purchased a 2006 Katana 600 this year. Bike seems to be in great shape but after riding it for a few weeks I have noticed a buzzing sound coming out of the front of it somewhere ( sounds like front of engine). It only make this sound when the bike is moving and I am on the throttle not at idle even if I rev it. It doesn't seem to get any louder as I accelerate or as the bike gets hotter. I am running premium fuel and just did an oil change Suzuki 10w40.

Any ideas?

Loose fairing/screw?
    Btw, no need to run premium, these bikes were designed for regular. Only reason to run premium is if it's ethanol free and lower grades are not.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Yeah could be I check them but coulda missed one there are a few also I read that some guys get a "ping" after they run it for awhile and yes I live in Canada and run shell V-Power which contains no ethanol not sure if its the same in the US at shell or not.

Comment

Varies state by state. Here in CA, 10% is a state mandate. And it sucks...I'm sure Shell sells it in other states ethanol free, but not this one.

Could also be some wiring that's rattling around. There's supposed to be zip ties and clips holding most of it down snug, but things can work loose. Possibly the windshield, but the screws on that are all pretty obvious.

Also, probably not likely if the bike runs fine, but an exhaust leak? Easy enough to check, just make sure all the header bolts are torqued down snug.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Find a nice straight stretch of road with no one behind you.

Pull in clutch, do you hear it now?

Kill switch, do you hear it now?

Kill switch back to run and let out clutch and bike will run again.

Simple way to narrow down if it's because of movement, engine vibrations, or no...

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Do you have multiple keys on your keyring?

Comment

Originally posted by mufflerman View Post
              ...I have noticed a buzzing sound coming out of the front of it somewhere ( sounds like front of engine). It only make this sound when the bike is moving and I am on the throttle not at idle even if I rev it. It doesn't seem to get any louder as I accelerate or as the bike gets hotter... Any ideas?
              I had the same type of noise... drove me insane for almost 2 years, I checked every nut and bolt till i figured it out...

Check the spring on the flap on your gas cap.. my spring was broken and the flap just sat there and rattled, but only when moving it never made the noise sitting still.
              http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
              http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
              '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
              "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
              "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                I had the same type of noise... drove me insane for almost 2 years, I checked every nut and bolt till i figured it out...

Check the spring on the flap on your gas cap.. my spring was broken and the flap just sat there and rattled, but only when moving it never made the noise sitting still.

Another really common source is the bolt that the clutch pivots on... as it rattles and spins from vibration.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                X