No announcement yet.
X

GPS Mounts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to waterproof your phone? Go with OtterBox or LifeProof and get complete protection for your phone.

Comment

I've got a friend with an otterbox, he loves it. I've had several friends with mounts - they tried several things and all ended up with ram mounts except 1. His was custom built by the bikes original owner - an engineer with too much free time in his hands. Sick looking design, but it had something like 60 pieces. It mounted to the steering stem bolt in place of the nut that usually goes there. (This is on an sv 650)
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
        Now that's funny! My guess would be that if anyone needs raingear advice, riders from where you live would be the ones I want to hear from.
        @skjeflo is the one you want to talk to. He's the hard core road riding rain warrior.

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
        Seen many reviews of the RAM phone mount, and have always been extremely interested in picking one up. Care to describe how well it was able to slip into the handlebar clamp?
        Very well. It comes with a 4" conical plug that you cut to fit. Then there's an endcap and bolt that tightens things up. It's holding tight and would be easy to readjust or move to the other handlebar. I think the kit says it fits an inner diameter of 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches.

I'm sure the brake reservoir mount would be extra solid, but I prefer the device on the left side, and like the universality of the stem mount.

I'm really impressed with the system.

Bonus fact, a huge version of this is used on the Seattle monorail to hold the massive display that shows the driver how slow and in which direction he's traveling.

Originally posted by numus View Post
        I have a SENA SMH5 that can take multiple Bluetooth inputs at once (phone and GPS for example).
        I have a Sena SMH10R, so it'll do several devices as well. I'm just used to the way Android manages multiple alerts and suspect the Sena doesn't do it quite as elegantly.

One little annoyance I'm finding is that when I'm on intercom with my riding buddy, no audio comes from the cell phone through to the Sena, so I miss turn guidance and radar alerts. I don't feel like setting too much more up and will just live with it. My friend ordered a SM10 I think it was, so his radar detector can alert over our conversations. I figure that I'll just let him do the radar detecting with his fancy detector and tell me when we need to act like upstanding citizens for a few miles.

Originally posted by Eye8 View Post
        elsueco - thanks for the pics! it's not preferred that I have anything cover the instrument cluster, but it does show that attaching something to the windshield mounts and headlights can be a very viable option.

and yes, I've seen a lot of those "water resistant" phone bags for sale in a lot of places too...looks....cheap lol.

so far, it looks like I'll be going with a RAM mount for sure. I kinda want my phone to be my GPS so that I can get notices from my wife and senior staff for emergencies, but I also kinda want to not be contactable when I'm riding as well, as it's my time to clear my head lol

Also, I don't listen to music or anything either

A few more pics for you showing the different positions I can do with this RAM setup. Since you're planning on buying locally, you might find a dealer that has the longer arm, so you can get the phone even further out of the way of the instruments. I tried the short arm, and it's not a heck of a lot different than this one as far as positioning.

Here's my cell phone in a sandwich bag, velcroed to the Simpson mount. I've never run like this, and I suspect it would vibrate quite a lot, but I have no concerns about it dropping the phone.

Here's the phone mounted high.

Another high angle.

And finally, low. I rode to work today with it low like this and it worked fine. Just a bit too far below my field of vision for my taste.

Last edited by elsueco; 04-25-2014, 01:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

IMO, it is better to keep GPS in view or higher than speedo/tach, since GPS display more accurate speed anyway.
          Keep the GPS as close to the direction of travel, so your eyes don't have to move far from the direction of travel to see the GPS.

Comment

Those of you using a GPS, where are you pulling power from? Also, are you installing an accessory plug (cigar lighter) on the bike? Any photos? Thanks.
            Chris

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.
            Ralph W. Sockman

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by katinvermont View Post
              Those of you using a GPS, where are you pulling power from? Also, are you installing an accessory plug (cigar lighter) on the bike? Any photos? Thanks.
              Using this (came with my battery tender)
              [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ"]http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ[/ame]

With this plugged into it:
              [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-8-Cigarette-Disconnect/dp/B0041CDPQO"]http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-8-Cigarette-Disconnect/dp/B0041CDPQO[/ame]

I used to just run it into my tank bag, but have finally hidden it under the plastic and run it up to my console as seen in the pictures above.

Comment

^ those look like great parts to use as well, thanks for the links

Comment

I connect the GPS power cord directly to the battery.
                  Less wiring to mess with, GPS stays on when ignition is off.

SAE power cord used for battery tender in garage or electric jacket in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by elsueco View Post
                    Using this (came with my battery tender)
                    http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B000NCOKZQ

With this plugged into it:
                    http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B0041CDPQO

I used to just run it into my tank bag, but have finally hidden it under the plastic and run it up to my console as seen in the pictures above.
                    Great idea! I think I have one of those (from Battery Tender) around. Thanks!
                    Chris

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.
                    Ralph W. Sockman

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X