X

Charging a battery

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging a battery

Just got this charger http://www.sears.com/diehard-10-2-50...p-02871222000P and it recommends to not use 10 amp to charge a 8 AHr motorcycle battery but only 2 amps... Does anyone know if there is really any harm in using the 10 amp fast charge?

I always use the 2 amp charge. The slower your charge a battery the better it is *for* the battery.
    - Purplehaze
    All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

+1

The higher charge rate will cook (boil) the acid solution, shortening the life of the battery.
      It can only absorb so much current and rest is converted to heat.
      Blackdog
      DRz-400e plated
      Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog View Post
        +1

The higher charge rate will cook (boil) the acid solution, shortening the life of the battery.
        It can only absorb so much current and rest is converted to heat.
        It is an AGM battery.

Comment

AGM is still Lead Acid, and it's small. Believe the recommendation. <2 amp "smart chargers" are the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
            AGM is still Lead Acid, and it's small. Believe the recommendation. <2 amp "smart chargers" are the way to go.
            Right but it is absorbed (also known as starved) so I don't think there is a chance of it boiling away like a flooded or SLA. It is a smart charger so the 10 amp mode still drops down to 2 or so amps when it gets close to filled but I will stick to 2 amp unless I am in a rush and need the battery to have some power to crank.

I also have this maintainer [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SEM-1562A-CA-Charge-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0009IBJAS"]Amazon.com: Schumacher SEM-1562A-CA 1.5 Amp Speed Charge Battery Maintainer: Automotive[/ame] but it really sucks at actually charging (gives no indication how close to charge it is).
            Last edited by numus; 04-24-2014, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
              Right but it is absorbed (also known as starved) so I don't think there is a chance of it boiling away like a flooded or SLA. It is a smart charger so the 10 amp mode still drops down to 2 or so amps when it gets close to filled but I will stick to 2 amp unless I am in a rush and need the battery to have some power to crank.

I also have this maintainer Amazon.com: Schumacher SEM-1562A-CA 1.5 Amp Speed Charge Battery Maintainer: Automotive but it really sucks at actually charging (gives no indication how close to charge it is).
              Trust me, you and your battery will thank yourself and you if you just do it right.
              I've never had to wait (mine has a meter) more than 6 hours with a 2-amp setting. Just put it on overnight, it'll be charged by morning.
              - Purplehaze
              All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
                Trust me, you and your battery will thank yourself and you if you just do it right.
                I've never had to wait (mine has a meter) more than 6 hours with a 2-amp setting. Just put it on overnight, it'll be charged by morning.
                Wasn't planning to use it unless I have to get the bike running within the next half an hour.

Comment

Working...
                X