Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Anyone know how much the '06 fairings weigh?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how much the '06 fairings weigh?

Hey guys, new here.

So I'm thinking of picking up a 2006 750 for a project bike. Basically what I want to do is a simpleish streetfighter build. Strip all the fairings, flip handbars/buy clipons, swap dash, swap wheels, lower the front a bit. Probably do something with the exhaust too. Hoping to improve the handling of the bike and alleviate that top-heaviness. I'm just really curious about how much weight I'd be dropping right off the bat by losing the fairings.

Anyone else do something similar with their Katana? Also can anyone explain the can of tuna joke?

Originally posted by Starships View Post
    Hey guys, new here.

So I'm thinking of picking up a 2006 750 for a project bike. Basically what I want to do is a simpleish streetfighter build. Strip all the fairings, flip handbars/buy clipons, swap dash, swap wheels, lower the front a bit. Probably do something with the exhaust too. Hoping to improve the handling of the bike and alleviate that top-heaviness. I'm just really curious about how much weight I'd be dropping right off the bat by losing the fairings.

Anyone else do something similar with their Katana? Also can anyone explain the can of tuna joke?

The fairings will make no noticeable difference in weight distribution. Max 10-15 lbs if you included every single piece of plastic.

A proper suspension setup and rake adjustment would make a huge difference in how the bike handles.

The stock exhaust is probably the heaviest single component of the bike that can be swapped.

Fully stripped of every conceivable unnecessary part I would expect the Katana come still weight in 100lbs heavier than a fully equipped Modern GSXR.

If you really want better performance, don't worry about weight... look at each component you want to perform better and do what is needed for that. For example, improved handling on a katana is not about weight. Properly re-built suspension parts (forks, shock) is what that's about.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      The fairings will make no noticeable difference in weight distribution. Max 10-15 lbs if you included every single piece of plastic.

A proper suspension setup and rake adjustment would make a huge difference in how the bike handles.

The stock exhaust is probably the heaviest single component of the bike that can be swapped.

Fully stripped of every conceivable unnecessary part I would expect the Katana come still weight in 100lbs heavier than a fully equipped Modern GSXR.

If you really want better performance, don't worry about weight... look at each component you want to perform better and do what is needed for that. For example, improved handling on a katana is not about weight. Properly re-built suspension parts (forks, shock) is what that's about.

Krey
      Thanks for all the info! I'm really getting close to moving ahead with this project. Just seems much more fun than getting a stock 650r or something.

Comment

I'm going out way into left field here, but if you want a katana to be like a GSXR, then the easiest thing to do is modify the Katana pastic to fit on the GSXR. I liked the looks of a post Kat, (look down), it's a timless look. Those curves imo do not look dated.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X