X

Help! I screwed up my timing chain!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I screwed up my timing chain!

So, i bought a '94 Kat 600 from my friend with a blown head gasket for $400.I had everything done right, but when I had the head on and it was time for me to put my camshafts back on, they don't fit. The timing chain has been messed up somehow, I can't put the cams on the bike without stretching out my timing chain.
    Is there any way to adjust the chain? All the tensioners I know of are loose.
    I did drop the timing chain inside the block when I was taking the head off, is there any way the chain would have moved a tooth or two on the lower gear? If so, how do I remedy this?!
    Please help!
    I bought a broken Kat. What have I gotten myself into?!

Can't provide any input on your problem, however here is a link for your bikes service manual. Hopefully, this will help! Good luck!

NorWest Suspension, Ohlins, Nitron, K-Tech, Supersprox, Race Tech, Penske, JRi, Hagon, Fox, Works Performance, ZBROZ, Elka, Spectro, Pit bull, Pit Posse, MX-Tech, SKF Seals

Comment

You should remove the cam chain tensioner first, it could be that it popped all the way out when you took the head off and is stretching the chain.

I think you want 22 pins between the cams, but you'll need to check the manual for that.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

+1 for the chain tensioner, yes you can mislocate the chain if it falls into the engine. Just use a light source to look down the engine and make sure the chain is on the crank. Your chain link count is 21. (88-95). Putting the cams back in is tough while maintaining proper orientation, you may have to do it a couple times to get it correct.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          +1 for the chain tensioner, yes you can mislocate the chain if it falls into the engine. Just use a light source to look down the engine and make sure the chain is on the crank. Your chain link count is 21. (88-95). Putting the cams back in is tough while maintaining proper orientation, you may have to do it a couple times to get it correct.
          What tensioners are there? I took the head off, and all of the tensioners I know of are on the head or above. I can't see down to tell if I slipped a tooth or two. If I did, how do I get the chain back in place?

Comment

Tensioner is located between cylinder no. 2 and 3, on the cylinder block (back side). Remove the large bolt (19mm head), pull out spring and then remove the two M6 screws holding the tensioner to the cylinder block.

After this you should be able to reset the timing chain according to the manual.

Comment

You have to remove the carbs to get to the tensioner. Just fyi its easy and when you put it back on you bolt the small bolts first and then the large one. You also need to release the locking tab after you remove it so its all the way out. This way it isn't over tight when put back on.
              You know your a KatRider when you sell a nearly new perfectly running low miles bike... and buy a 13 year old non running Katana.

Comment

Originally posted by Xrayron View Post
                You have to remove the carbs to get to the tensioner. Just fyi its easy and when you put it back on you bolt the small bolts first and then the large one. You also need to release the locking tab after you remove it so its all the way out. This way it isn't over tight when put back on.
                So I managed to get the tensioner off with only the two bolts. What's the purpose of taking off the larger bolt?
                I put my head on as well, very excited to get this together, but the top end cap of one of my valves fell off and straight into my oil return... Going to get that out of my oil pan tomorrow, and put the bike together!

But really, what's the point of the large bolt on the tensioner?

Comment

The large bolt is the spring loaded portion. The small bolts hold the tensioner to the head.

I don't think you can reinstall it without causing the tensioner to come all the way out if the large bolt is installed.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

+1, install the body first, then set the tensioner, to get the tensioner taught, rotate the engine slightly backwards,(do not fully rotate the engine backwards), this will shift the slack to the tensioner side.
                    Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-18-2014, 09:06 AM.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

It's just as easy to rotate the motor by hand a few times. The last one I did we installed the tensioner then adjusted the valves.
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X