X

Lost a Little Piece of my Heart

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost a Little Piece of my Heart

After 3.5 years the time came and I sold my 2001 Katana. I broke even with what I bought it for so I feel pretty good about the deal financially.

However, I also feel like I lost a little piece of my heart. The Kat was my second motorcycle. I bought my first bike about 1.5 years earlier. Shortly after buying it, I lost my job and had to sell it to pay rent. I missed having a motorcycle but never really got attached to my first bike. I didn't have it for long enough.

Finally, I was able to save up enough money to buy another motorcycle. And surprisingly I was able to get my wife on board pretty easily. We needed a second vehicle at the time so she gave me free reign over that decision. I picked up my Kat in November from Salt Lake City and rode it home to Provo, Utah.

This first ride (minus the short test drive) was all it took to fall in love. It was freezing riding down the freeway that night, but the roads were clear. I didn't have covered parking at my apartment, let alone a garage, to protect her from the elements. She had to sit under the cover that came with her through the cold Utah winters.

Don't worry, she didn't do much sitting. I rode everyday that first winter. I couldn't get enough. There were several days when the cold would kill my battery and I would have to push start it to get home, but I always wanted to ride.

I remember going to school one morning. It seemed much colder than usual. I was wearing three pairs of gloves, 2 jackets, 2 pairs of pants and still freezing. I hit black ice on the way out of the parking lot and thought I was going down. My guardian angels saved me and I was able to make it to class. I got a call part way through the day from a friend making fun of me for riding to school when it was -7*. I couldn't understand why someone wouldn't want to ride.

As life went on, we moved from Utah to Las Vegas. We were able to get everything we owned (including the Kat) inside a 17' Uhaul truck. I was so excited to be able to ride in "nice" weather all the time. I rode almost every day while we were in Vegas.

I think I became pretty good at running errands on the Kat too. I would load up my saddle bags and Imlay canyon pack and could get almost everything I needed. I even brought a 5lb tub of putty for a project at the house, balancing it on the tank. My friends and co-workers thought I was crazy. I would ride all summer long without Air conditioning. I would show up at work all sweaty and still be happy to ride.

One spring break I rode 430 miles each way to go to Utah for a day to help run a paintball tournament. It also took me down to LA for a friends wedding and back. It was sure nice to not get stuck in traffic in California, but the guy at the parking garage wouldn't let me in because I was on a motorcycle.

We acquired 2 dogs. One of whom is very active. We began competing in flyball and frisbee tournaments in CA, UT, NV, and AZ with him. This made it very difficult to get to practices and competitions when my wife needed the car for other things. We also saw the dogs quickly destroying the car. Our second dog is a little large for the car and we could not longer get their kennels into the car.

My wife and I decided that a small SUV would be much more practical for the dogs and for competing. She eventually fell in love with a 2001 Rodeo which we picked up pretty cheap. I slowly fixed that up with some parts from the pic-a-part.

Then it was time to make the ultimate sacrifice. As 2 students with very limited income, it did not make financial sense to have 3 vehicles for 2 drivers. The Kat was getting neglected and spending more time in the garage than being enjoyed.

I hope the new owner will treat her right and get the same thrill that I enjoyed over the 16,000 miles that she carried me.

dang man, you and that kat went through it all thick and thin, hope she found a good home. I hope to keep my recently acquired Kat for as long as possible, we've already got some nice rides under our belt and many more to come.
    1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

Aw that sucks man! Sounds like you have another in your future though. Good luck with classes! The sooner you graduate, the sooner you can get another bike and get back to riding!

Might be too late for this, but do you have pics of your Kat? You'll always remember it, but it's always nice to have a visual to do with the memories.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Sorry to hear bro. I know the feeling. I had my friends for a very short time, but grew so attached to it. I planned on buying it, but I had to give it back tuesday because he sold it. There is just something about these bikes. it doesn't matter if you ride it for only an hour. They become part of you very quickly. I've never had that feeling with any other bike I've been on.

Comment

people here own Katanas still? Is that a thing? No reason to run off
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Steve is right, no reason to run off.

In time, you'll be back on a bike again. Nutshell...after craving bikes all my life, I bought a new Kawasaki 750 LTD in 1980, married 3 months later, sold it a month after that. Had three kids, when the last one graduated from high school, after being without a bike for over two decades, I laid down $1,000 for a decent 1983 Suzi GSX750ES. Like a hit of fresh air. In the next seven years I owned and rode 7 different bikes, from a Harley to a ZZR1200, including two new Kats off the showroom floor. Averaging over 500 miles riding per week and two trips to the The Dragon, I became the machines.

Our leap to the southwestern mountains of Colorado took away the long deserted highways and the almost everyday riding environment of the deserts of West Texas. No bike right now, but there could certainly be another, and this time a Zed or a Busa. You'll be on again.

BTW --- superb writing skills on your narrative---- I'd know.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

only 16,000 miles? Dude, I used put that on in a season and a half. plus, it's just a bike. what's "in your heart" has very little to do with the bike itself. It's what the bike represents that counts, and any reliable bike will do the job.

It ain't about what you ride, its about why you ride. Imho, if you start focusing to much on "the ride", you start losing track of why you ride. Forget you Kat....they are a dime a dozen. When things fall back into place, you will be in the saddle again soon enough. :
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Sorry to hear your Kat is gone. Im also sorry to not have met you. I live in Henderson and ride my Kat 5 days a week... the other 2 are spent at home w watching my son. If you ever find yourself back on a bike hit me up. its nice to find a fellow rider in this crazy town that doesn't feel the need to go 100+ all the time.

Comment

Working...
                X