No announcement yet.
X

Carrying lunch to work?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always hated riding with a backpack, So I would always use a tank or tailbag.
    Kyle

Comment

I won a thermal cooler bag at a golf tournament. It'll easily hold a dozen beer cans and a few ice packs or a few trays of ice cubes. I'll pack a lunch in it no problem..... it's also great for bonfire nights and fishing.
      It's a smaller version of this one.....
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Fullmetal View Post
        To all you tank baggers and backpackers... how do you keep your lunch cold?
        Insulated lunch bag, blue ice (solid) packs. Works for me, the wife and for the kids going to school. Stuff is still cold when I get home if I haven't eaten it all.

Something like this is what we have 10 of in our freezer:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ice-Mini-Pak-Oz/dp/B001LTZLEY"]http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ice-Mini-Pak-Oz/dp/B001LTZLEY[/ame]

I don't think we've paid more than $3 for any of them.

Get the solid ones, the flexible ones are terrible when they decide to spring a leak (and they will) all over your lunch.
        Last edited by skjeflo; 02-17-2014, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Have you guys who use backpacks never met anyone who fell off at speed when wearing one ?

Trust me its not good, strap the stuff to the bike stick it in panniers or a tank bag or tail pack, do anything but wear it !
          Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Originally posted by Fullmetal View Post
            Thanks for all your suggestions! Great feedback!

Forgot to mention we don't have refrigerators at work, so I need to keep the lunch cold with an ice pack.

Sounds like the popular answers are tank bag, backpack, and cargo net in that order. I'm thinking the best thing right now would be to use a cargo net to hold down the lunch box on the passenger's seat.

To all you tank baggers and backpackers... how do you keep your lunch cold?
            The tank bag I linked you too can more than hold a lunch box (maybe not a big hard plastic hinged one) but definitely a soft plastic one with some thermal/ice packs in there, with room to spare for a drink.

Originally posted by tone View Post
            Have you guys who use backpacks never met anyone who fell off at speed when wearing one ?

Trust me its not good, strap the stuff to the bike stick it in panniers or a tank bag or tail pack, do anything but wear it !
            Last year I wore a backpack a lot to carry around extra layers. I usually don't have anything hard in there, but you got me thinking that it's really not smart to have a backpack on if I ever go down. Luckily with my tank bag purchase and cargo net, I can avoid that.

On a trip to go camping, we were able to cargo net my backpack sitting up to the grab bar area, than still fit me and my girl on there for a 2-3 hour ride. It was actually pretty comfortable for us, she used the back pack as a bit of a back rest. Obviously not putting her weight into it, but support all the same.
            Last edited by rottenpixies; 02-17-2014, 07:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

I use a tail pack on pillion seat with a cargo net strapped over it to keep it from shifting around. I have a big lunch bag and it fits nicely. The rest of my stuff goes in the tank bag

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
                Insulated lunch bag, blue ice (solid) packs. Works for me, the wife and for the kids going to school. Stuff is still cold when I get home if I haven't eaten it all.

Something like this is what we have 10 of in our freezer:

I don't think we've paid more than $3 for any of them.

Get the solid ones, the flexible ones are terrible when they decide to spring a leak (and they will) all over your lunch.

if you use an ice pack put your sandwich in a plastic container instead of a sandwich bag
                the sandwich bag tends to make the sandwich soggy
                Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I just throw one of those cold packs in a ziplock bag and chuck that in the tank bag. Works fine for sandwiches/fruit/leftovers. Not ideal for yogurt, but that's about it. I'm not a terribly picky eater and have a cast iron stomach so ymmv, but works great for me.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I have a backpack and 6 foot rope, and I tie my backpack over the rear seat. It holds well.
                    http://www.envyplayer.com/13.mp4 for sale with lots of parts

Comment

I have Rapid Transit Saddle bags. They are worth the their weight in gold. If i need to throw a lunch in them, they're insulated to help keep cold, cold and hot, hot. If I go up north to camp, I can unzip them to expand the room. I can hold a 30 pack of my favorite beverage on one side and my clothes for the weekend on the other.
                      sigpic

Comment

I use a backpack with a thermal bag from the grocery store. It keeps everything cool and keeps the backpack dry.

Comment

Working...
                        X