X

semi cold weather in CALIFORNIA- bike doesn't start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• semi cold weather in CALIFORNIA- bike doesn't start

Hey guys, so I live in the Bay Area, CA, and as you may know, we really had no winter at all! However, today and the past couple of days, I work at 6:30 am and I store my bike outside with a cover and battery tender. The weather temperature in the morning at that time was 50-52 degrees and when I started my bike, it doesn't start. is there such things as the engine being too cold to start? What could be the cause? I have a 2000 Suzuki Katana 600, brand new battery, battery tender. When I come back home since I couldn't take my bike to work, the temperature is usually around 55 degrees at around 7-8 pm, and miraculously it starts every time! Please let me know your thoughts and comments. In addition, i replaced my break pads (rear), yet my breaks are still squeaking between 15-20 mph. Could it be the rotors? My rotors aren't rusted or anything. Any ideas or tip on either questions?

First, where was it stored? outside? there may be water in the fuel. Have your battery load tested first, if test good then check the voltage at the coils while trying to start needs to be 11+v. If less then you need to find the drop, ie poor connection, of do the coil mod.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 02-12-2014, 02:17 AM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'm in San Jose too - it's definitely not cold enough to be a problem (my bikes all live outside too)
      My last job had me heading in to work at 6am, never had any issues. Current job has me heading home at ~11pm, not as cold as early morning but close-ish.
      My guess (only a guess) is it has something to so with the rain we've had the past few days. A wet connection that happens to dry out by the time you get home perhaps. I think most of the rain has been falling at night, so if its electrical, could be really wet at night and drier by evening.
      When you say it won't start - the starter won't crank? The lights won't come on? The starter spins but the engine won't catch? Just because the battery is new doesn't mean you didnt get a lemon, it happens. Most auto places test batteries for free, so that's a super simple and free way to at least cross that off your list.
      Also - I know I'm not a morning person. Is it possible you're half awake in the morning and forgetting to flip the kill switch, have the clutch all the way in, have the kickstand down while in gear, etc? I know I've had occasional "wtf...oh. Ha my bad" moments like that a few times.

Are your brake pads dragging? Is your rotor smooth (vs gouged) is your wheel alignment good? Did you put any brake lube on when you dropped in the new pads? Some people find it helps quiet things out.

Good luck!
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Umm....50+ degrees is WARM compared to many places right now.

Last week my '95 600 fired right up at 21 degrees. Admittedly it took two pushes of the starter button, but only because my thumb slid off the ice that had formed on it the first time.

Do you use choke normally? Did you that time?

Comment

My first thought is also water in something. Leave the battery off the tender for a few hours, then check the voltage. Should be 12v or higher. Try starting it and then check voltage again. Or just take the battery to an auto part store and have them test it.

As for the brake squeaking, I tried most every thing and didn't get rid of the noise until I installed OEM pads. So give some things a try but it may come down to your pads.
          '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

Yeah it was stored outside. However,y battery was at 14+ so it's not the battery. It sounds like it would turn but than doesn't catch than shuts off. Weird..... Also, the lights turn, yes the choke is on, and after a while of starting it it would sound like it would start but than shuts off. This morning I started it at 8 am and the whether wasn't too different, 58 degrees, and it started. So i guess the temp does have something to do with it? I also read that if you switch the gears up and down a few times that it lubricates the gears and that it would help it starts, true? Also, I'm quite awake when I do this hahaha but yes I tried every possible way, pushing it down the street than try to start it in first gear n it won't start it. Too much hassle now that I think about it hahha. Possibly it has to do with the cold whether. I mean is there a ways could put like carpet over the bike and cover it with my bike cover that way the moisture doesn't get into the engine etc? Or put some type of moisture absorption over the engine?
            Last edited by KPDL6290; 02-12-2014, 02:00 PM.

Comment

14 is too high, overcharging will kill a battery.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

How does it run once it does start? Does the engine run smooth or is it rough in places? Does it idle well?

Comment

Doesn't matter what the batter puts out, if 11v+ isn't going to the coils. Measure at the coils when the starter is turning the motor over. If it's under 11v, then your bike will always have cold start issues using the starter.

General reasons this happens is low batteries, but also could be wiring/harness/switch issues reducing the power to the coils.

If the bike has been rained on, there could be issues with one of the plugs/plug wires arcing and loosing power to the plug(s). This would also show as a hard start issue. There are drain holes for the plug wells. If those get stopped up, then water will sit in there and cause problems with grounding out the plugs instead of allowing them to fully spark.

Krey
                  Last edited by Kreylyn; 02-12-2014, 05:17 PM.
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

?
                    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Well while it was running, the battery is good. Between 13.6v-14v. I charge a battery tender so I know it's not the battery. Once it runs, it's great!!! Idle is good too. With the choke on it's at 6krpm. Than I crank the hole down after 30 seconds. I brought it to a dealership today and they recommend a full check up: sparks plugs etc. but they said your bike runs fine now so it should be okay, but he recommends a check up within a few months. I do park it outside but in California Bay Area there hasn't been too much moisture or rain and I cover my bike with a waterproof and weather proof cover. Is there a foam or something that I can cover under the bike cover to keep it warm? Any other suggestions why it wouldn't start? The mechanic said even ducotis wouldn't start in early mornings. Lmk.

Comment

I was just up in the bay area during the super bowl and it rained while I was there. I went out to move my bike out of the rain and it was tough to start since it cold, I don't think carb bikes and wet weather do well so try to keep it inside a garage might want to see if your carbs are in need of a cleaning too as well as the usual mantience things the dealer mentioned.
                        1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

You might be getting morning dew on the wire connections on the coils. After sitting all day, the moisture evaporates and you can start it. I'd check the wires going to the coils. Clean them up with contact cleaner, then put some dielectric grease on them. I had a problem with my fuel gauge that was similar. Erratic indications in the morning, then normal operations later. 2+ years after cleaning and greasing and I haven't had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by KPDL6290 View Post
                            Well while it was running, the battery is good. Between 13.6v-14v. I charge a battery tender so I know it's not the battery. Once it runs, it's great!!! Idle is good too. With the choke on it's at 6krpm. Than I crank the hole down after 30 seconds. I brought it to a dealership today and they recommend a full check up: sparks plugs etc. but they said your bike runs fine now so it should be okay, but he recommends a check up within a few months. I do park it outside but in California Bay Area there hasn't been too much moisture or rain and I cover my bike with a waterproof and weather proof cover. Is there a foam or something that I can cover under the bike cover to keep it warm? Any other suggestions why it wouldn't start? The mechanic said even ducotis wouldn't start in early mornings. Lmk.

Unfortunately your reasons for the battery to be "good" are not actually indicative of that being fact.

A bad battery can... show full charge right after coming off a charger or pass a Voltage test but fail the load test. A battery can go bad even with a charge system constantly hooked to it, especially if the charge system ends up going bad and over charging the battery. If the battery is not a sealed system, then over charging can cause the electrolytes to boil and either have over flow or evaporation decrease their level.

Additionally, if the batter is good that does not mean the other electrical components of the bike is putting 11+v to the coils.

A warmer engine needs less spark to start. A cold engine needs a stronger spark. As it gets colder, that becomes more important. Low voltage below 11V+ to the coils means the spark will be weaker.

Get a volt meter (like $10 at walmart) and test! This is how you save yourself $100s of dollars in the dealer doing all kinds of tune up crap that you don't need (because a tune up is NOT the issue you have) and end up not fixing the problem at all. (if you need a tune up, then by all means get one, but that is NOT what caused your cold temp hard start issue.)

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                            X