X

not running right

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not running right

I have a 2004 katana that I just bought about a month ago that had been sitting up for about six months.i cleaned the tank put new plugs in changed oil ect.when I first start the bike it runs fine for about twenty mins then its like I turned the key off.i can let the bike set for about two mins and it will start back up and go about half a mile before dieing again.what should I do to try to fix this problem

carbs willl be bunged up after sitting for 6 months so will need a strip clean & resetting, this may not be the full solution but its a good start
    Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

check spark at all your plugs. could be the coils.
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Define "cleaned the tank"........ surely you had it off the bike
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

If the bike is running super rich, it could be dying once its warm. We're your old plugs black? If so that's an indication you're rich. Might be worth pulling your new ones and takin a look at them too, maybe once you started putting fuel through the carbs, a float started sticking making run rich.
          It's something that would get fixed during a clean/rebuild.
          Not saying it isn't electrical - but if you already know how to pull the plugs, easy starting point.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I never owned an '04....... but several carbed cars I've owned had the same issue with plugged fuel filters. That's why I asked if you had the tank OFF the bike when you "cleaned" it.
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I tried it again yesterday once it went dead I took the tank off and there was no fuel in my in line filter could this possibly be the problem

Comment

Yes
                Bike needs fuel to run. Could have a fuel line kinking or a knackered petcock. K&L sells rebuild kits. Auto stores should have fuel line.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Knackered huh?

Comment

Another simple check. Make sure your fuel line coming off the petcock isnt kinked. I used to have that clear tubing that you can get at any hardware store. It was a bit too long ( i cut it that way to be able to lift the tank without disconnecting the hose) but anyway, once it warmed up it would kink, not completely but partially and it limited the throughput enough to starve the carbs. maybe the bike is burning more gas than the line can supply if it is cheap tube and/or too long.
                    Last edited by maniac1886; 02-11-2014, 02:26 PM.
                    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I got the rebuild kit took the petcock off and it was slap full of stuff so I cleaned and put the new kit on. Just waiting on all the ice to melt to test it out so thanks for all the input

Comment

I put the bike back together and now it wont even get any fuel and the vaccum line is sucking like its suppost to any ideas why its not working

Comment

did you try putting the know to the prime position? just to see if it starts? I am sure you have, but just a suggestion!

Comment

I'm taking it for granted you actually re-attached the vac- line to the side of cyl#4....... try turning the petcock to PRI for 30 seconds or so, 1\4 choke.....
                            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

yea I don't understand why it isn't working I even hocked up the vaccum without the fuel line on and tried to start it and it doesn't even spit fuel out that way either

Comment

Working...
                              X