X

What my Kat gave me for Christmas !

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What my Kat gave me for Christmas !

It was around noon today that my family said oh we forgot a few things at the store. I will use any excuse to ride even though I commute everyday. I rode to the local store that happened to be closed so I came back to the house and found another store that was only open until 1. I got right back on the bike which had already been running and warmed up from the 30 degree temp outside. On the highway I gunned it all the way and heard a loud snap and the bike then sounded like a monster Harley Davidson.

When I came to a stop I saw my exhaust hanging off where it meets the header under the oil pan. I replaced the exhaust and header about 19 months ago with a 03 Kat 600 (I have a 91 600). I did have to mod the exhaust but it actually is pretty well supported. The header has a hose clamp type connection. The part that broke off was the mid connection piece that is thinner metal and slides inside the header. I just wanted to know....

Did I do anything wrong that may have caused this?
    Could it have anything to do with being used all winter in extreme cold?
    Any preventative measures to prevent something like this happening again?

Thanks, Chey
    Attached Files

purely a guess, but...

The post exhaust is about 2" too long, so if you used the OEM mounting hole bracket on the post and forced it to match up to the pre frame bracket hole... then there would have been a lot of pressure in the middle that could have assisted in the pipe snapping where it did.

think bending a stick until it snaps....

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I have a post 750 header fs. Sounds like maybe rust and pressure were the culprits

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        purely a guess, but...

The post exhaust is about 2" too long, so if you used the OEM mounting hole bracket on the post and forced it to match up to the pre frame bracket hole... then there would have been a lot of pressure in the middle that could have assisted in the pipe snapping where it did.

think bending a stick until it snaps....

Krey
        I guess I should make a bracket to mount the mid section of the pipe as a third support area?

Comment

Working...
        X