X

New test-Paint Template

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New test-Paint Template

I am going to actually use a flat/matte black paint job and highlight other areas in red. I promise that if the paint turns out like all those bikes you see with a "Walmart sale on black paint job" The fairings will never be put on my bike. Doing it 100% or nothing.

Has anyone done a matte paint job? Have any tips or pictures of successful paint jobs? What do you think of the layout?
    Attached Files

I think it will look sick, red mesh mod
    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Dont like the "walmart" jobs? HAHA. kills me.
      Bunch of options out there these days .Single stage and tri coat.
      I normaly stick with tri coat for customer work.It will last much longer and easy to clean.
      Single: SEM has a nice system.Madallion as well.
      Tri coat:
      Normlay use either the HD(harley) system "denim".The Clear is very forgiving and very easy to use.Or:
      PPG DCU2060 clear.

Excuse me, meant cleared not "tri coat".Brain's not working this morning.
      Last edited by T McCall; 10-05-2013, 08:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I am with T McCall on this one...there is no substitute for a good coat of clear. rattle can paint jobs may look good when they are done, but they won't last for shit and it won't be long before it has to be done again. Clear coat will at least leave you the opportunity to buff out any scratches you might get and will last much much longer.

but hey...to each his own. :
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
          I am with T McCall on this one...there is no substitute for a good coat of clear. rattle can paint jobs may look good when they are done, but they won't last for shit and it won't be long before it has to be done again. Clear coat will at least leave you the opportunity to buff out any scratches you might get and will last much much longer.

but hey...to each his own. :
          I was thinking of using a Matte finish coat but never thought about a full clear-coat. It does make sense I will just have to experiment first and see what I can come up with. I just got another totally fucked up fairing for $8 with some chunks out of it that will be kind of my test piece. I think I will just tape it of 50/50 and do one side matte coat and one side clear to get the look right.

Comment

Been out of paint world for awhile and now so much is water borne and I know little to nothing about that
            DuPont had/has a flattener additive to add to the color

Also trim paint will be next to impossible to get an even finish on larger surfaces
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

For the home DIY'r there is a relatively new product called SprayMax 2K. It is a 2-part catalyzed spray clear in a rattle can. It comes with a good spray nozzle capable of laying down a nice even coat. Best part is that it's a true catalyzed product so no worries on the gas tank if fuel spills on it. This kinda deviates from your idea of "flat" or "matte" finish but a low cost high quality product for home use.

SprayMax now offers a 2 part (2K) Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat. This 2k urethane Clear Coat spray has a much higher U.V. and weather resistance than any standard aerosol clearcoat on the market today.
              Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG-KO View Post
                For the home DIY'r there is a relatively new product called SprayMax 2K. It is a 2-part catalyzed spray clear in a rattle can. It comes with a good spray nozzle capable of laying down a nice even coat. Best part is that it's a true catalyzed product so no worries on the gas tank if fuel spills on it. This kinda deviates from your idea of "flat" or "matte" finish but a low cost high quality product for home use.

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm
                +1 on the 2K max, very nice and easy to use. I was going to just put some rattle can paint on until I realized that without a 2 part clear any gas spills would mess up the paint. Make sure to were a respirator mask. The are cheap and will save your lungs.

I think the matte black and red would look good.
                '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

This is my current pant-job I did. Have issues with the glossy coat.

Comment

Working...
                  X