X

Stuck In Gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck In Gear

So I recently bought an RF900R as a project bike and I finally got her idling decently but now she's stuck in gear!

She had no problems shifting before but now I can't shift down or up. Pressing down on the lever is firm and it doesn't seem to budge, pressing up it moves up to where it seems like it should click into the next gear but without the next gear clicking.

Anything I can look at without splitting the cases other than the shift linkage?

Regards,
    -Duo
    Ride on, CyberPoet. You will be sorely missed.

You can pull the clutch cover and clutch off the right side and and get a good look at the end of the shift drum and associated mechanism.

Have you tried shifting while the engine is off and gently rocking it forward and backwards? Sometimes that will help.

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
      You can pull the clutch cover and clutch off the right side and and get a good look at the end of the shift drum and associated mechanism.

Have you tried shifting while the engine is off and gently rocking it forward and backwards? Sometimes that will help.
      I had tried rocking her back and forth for sure -- this ain't my first rodeo :P. That being said, I did solve the issue.

The hole in the linkage circled in red is supposed to be on top of that peg circled in yellow. The whole shaft (green) seems to have some back/forth play in it. Once I placed it back where it was supposed to go I did not seem to be able to get it back off, but the welds around that green area have me concerned that the part previously broke there and was improperly repaired.

Anyway, she works again although I still have a decent amount of carb tuning to do.

Regards,
      -Duo
      Ride on, CyberPoet. You will be sorely missed.

Comment

I took a look at the parts diagram. It looks like there should be a circlip on the shifter shaft where it comes out of the left side of the engine. Perhaps that is missing and the shift shaft is allowed to move to far to the right and pop off that stud.

Comment

Working...
        X