X

Help!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!

Well I'm the proud new owner of a 93 katana 600 and I was wondering about if there was any way that I could do some minor upgrades to get a little faster and improving the handling...be HELP would be appreciated

Welcome to KR!

You could change your sprocket gearing and either increase your top end or acceleration. Take a look at www.gearingcommander.com It will allow you to play with sprocket size combinations to give you an idea how it would affect your Kat.
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

buy a different bike.

Comment

+1, you will notice that it's a give and take situation, Either quicker off the line or higher top speed. As far as handling is concerned, the kats have crappy suspensions, you can upgrade the suspension with a different shock and upgrade the forks with new springs and valving. Makes the bike much, much better. DO NOT use a different type air filter, IE: K&N. It does more harm than good. Give the bike a good service, plugs and such.
        Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-29-2013, 04:10 PM.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thanks... I'm looking for more top end really because I mostly use it to commute but I do like the twistys on the weekends so I don't want to ruin the acceleration in n out of the turns.

Comment

Where do you commute to, Area 51?
            Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

Originally posted by Stay_Solo View Post
              Thanks... I'm looking for more top end really because I mostly use it to commute but I do like the twistys on the weekends so I don't want to ruin the acceleration in n out of the turns.
              Are you fuckin' serious
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

No smart ass lol just saying

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                Are you fuckin' serious
                I know cars man this bike thing is completely new to me so that's y I came here
                Last edited by Stay_Solo; 09-29-2013, 05:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If you really are commuting, I'd go for more torque and low end to clear junctions, lights, idiot drivers quicker. You won't ever, ever need increased high-rpm pull in everyday driving on a Kat when the speed limit is reachable in 2nd gear.

Even better, I'd keep it stock and learn to ride the thing properly - correct gear, correct RPM, correct throttle range and correct shifting, braking and lean for the conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Stay_Solo View Post
                    No smart ass lol just saying

I know cars man this bike thing is completely new to me so that's y I came here
                    Welcome....again. Not sure what car you drive, but any fun on a bike happens above 8k........
                    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                    ------------------------------------------
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                      Are you fuckin' serious
                      I caught that too but, I figured he'll figure it out......
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
                        If you really are commuting, I'd go for more torque and low end to clear junctions, lights, idiot drivers quicker. You won't ever, ever need increased high-rpm pull in everyday driving on a Kat when the speed limit is reachable in 2nd gear.

Even better, I'd keep it stock and learn to ride the thing properly - correct gear, correct RPM, correct throttle range and correct shifting, braking and lean for the conditions.
                        What would be the best way to do that?

Comment

That depends on which you have more of - Time or Money?

Comment

IMAO, Leave it as is for now, learn to actually ride it first. Then if you wish to spend some cash, put it into your suspension, this will be your best bang for your dallar. Then the gearing. you may find that after the suspension upgrade you don,t want the gearing changed.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

One of the biggest things that leave new riders feeling like they don't have enough power is the concept of a normal engine speed. In a car you generally shift at or below 2,500 rpm. With a bike you don't shift until you're well over that. Even when I'm just cruising around town I don't shift until at least 3,500 rpm and that's almost lugging the engine. If you really want some power then don't shift until after you hit 8,000 rpm or so.
                              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X