X

Slipping

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slipping

The other day I felt a sensation several times while riding my Kat which could be best described as gear or chain slippage. It happened 3 or 4 times under acceleration between 8k and10k, especially while climbing hills. It did not feel like the clutch was slipping. I will check the chain adjustment, but was curious if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Originally posted by TripleKing View Post
    The other day I felt a sensation several times while riding my Kat which could be best described as gear or chain slippage. It happened 3 or 4 times under acceleration between 8k and10k, especially while climbing hills. It did not feel like the clutch was slipping. I will check the chain adjustment, but was curious if anyone else has experienced something similar.
    If the chain was to slip, you would have massive damage to sprockets and sprocket cover, and stuff... A simple visual inspection and we can rule that one out.

I would suggest you double check the clutch adjustment and your clutch cable isn't sticking.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      If the chain was to slip, you would have massive damage to sprockets and sprocket cover, and stuff... A simple visual inspection and we can rule that one out.

I would suggest you double check the clutch adjustment and your clutch cable isn't sticking.

Krey
      Thinks look normal at the sprockets. Funny is that I lubed the cables last week and the problem only happens afterward. I can adjust at the lever. Hopefully I won't have to mess with the adjuster at the cover.

Comment

Thinks look normal at the sprockets. Funny is that I lubed the cables last week and the problem only happens afterward. I can adjust at the lever. Hopefully I won't have to mess with the adjuster at the cover.
        You really should mess with the adjuster at the cover, before and after you actually adjust the clutch mechanism. That's the only way to get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
          You really should mess with the adjuster at the cover, before and after you actually adjust the clutch mechanism. That's the only way to get it right.
          Ok. I just hate removing the fairing.

Comment

Ok. I just hate removing the fairing.
            He's (TRPUT) right, you know. Don't be afraid to have a poke around, have a look and learn session for a few hours, it's invaluable.

The more you do, the more you can do
            Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
              He's (TRPUT) right, you know. Don't be afraid to have a poke around, have a look and learn session for a few hours, it's invaluable.

The more you do, the more you can do
              trial an error is usually cheaper than a trip to the dealer....usually lol
              94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Mine does this a little too, I think the clutch plates are starting to be worn out. When mine does it I just let off the throttle a bit, let it "hook up" and its fine again.
                2004 Honda ST1300
                1999 Katana 750 (sold)

Comment

As mentioned above, check the adjustment.

Go down in top gear at cruising speed. Pull the clutch lever slowly. If the engine revs as soon as you touch the lever, adjust it out meaning put more slack in the cable. If it doesn't rev until after 1/4 pull, the clutch is likely on its way out. I'd order a new set now so you have them when it finally gives.

Comment

I had some slippage on mine. Don't do a half ass job adjust it at both points as you are supposed to. Mine ran great since then

Comment

Working...
                    X