93 Katana 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 Katana 750

Hey guys and gals!

Long time no see! It's been a couple of years for me, and I've since sold my '06 600. I miss her, and I'm thinking of buying a '93 750 with 25K on it. I need your advice, fellow Katana-wielders.

- Where are the locations of the VINs on the body/engine/frame?
    - What signs of wear/tear should I check?
    - How would I go about checking the brake wear without taking it apart?
    - What are the tell-tale signs of worn shocks?
    - What is the proper way to visually inspect for a bent fork?
    - Is there an easy way to tell if the carb needs a tune-up by sound?
    - How much chain play should there be?
    - Any other tips/tricks for a guy buying his first older bike?

My thanks in advance, fellow board members. I am going to search through the forums for all the information I can get as well.

Ride on,

notten
    http://www.envyplayer.com/13.mp4 for sale with lots of parts

Hope this covers most of what you're looking for

Originally posted by notten View Post
    Hey guys and gals!

Long time no see! It's been a couple of years for me, and I've since sold my '06 600. I miss her, and I'm thinking of buying a '93 750 with 25K on it. I need your advice, fellow Katana-wielders.

- Where are the locations of the VINs on the body/engine/frame?
    If you're facing the bike, it's on the left side of the triple tree mount on the frame itself
    - What signs of wear/tear should I check?
    I think just a good, detailed inspection of the bike is key. All P.O.'s have done their share of good maintenance or stupid crap. You just have to comb thru it all.
    - How would I go about checking the brake wear without taking it apart?
    Personally, this is negligible. I never weigh wether/not I purchase a bike based on it's brake pads/discs. Unless you're speaking of leaking at the piston seals? That should be easy enough to see. Look for brake fluid, or check for "sponginess" in the levers
    - What are the tell-tale signs of worn shocks?
    I think the fact that it's a 20-yr old bike should be re-iterated. Again, all on how the P.O. has treated it.
    - What is the proper way to visually inspect for a bent fork?
    I guess just ask if it's seen any damage? Press down on the front forks, see how they feel. Check fork seals, any break in contact anywhere at all between the fork seal and the fork?
    - Is there an easy way to tell if the carb needs a tune-up by sound?
    By-ear is pretty good, but won't key in on any issues. Could be a bad sync?, vacuum leak?, A/F screws poorly adjusted?
    - How much chain play should there be?
    IIRC, I think vertical deflection between the sprockets should be < 1". Check the rear axle adjuster and see how far it's been adjusted back, and determine if a new chain/sprocket set is an order.
    - Any other tips/tricks for a guy buying his first older bike?
    Be thorough. Ask questions. You'll get a good idea as to his knowledge of the bike just with idle chit-chat about it. Be weary if he refers back to the P.O. before him, stating things like, "I think the previous owner had this/that done." Because there's a good chance that it's never been done, or he has no idea.

My thanks in advance, fellow board members. I am going to search through the forums for all the information I can get as well.

Ride on,

notten
    1991 Kat 600 Fightered
    2001 SV650 Naked
    2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Comment

Thank you! Excellent info. Any tips on how to differentiate a pre 600 kat engine from a 750? Also, are VINs visible on the block anywhere?

Comment

should be stamped on the block just above the oil fill location
        1991 Kat 600 Fightered
        2001 SV650 Naked
        2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Comment

Thanks. Got her. Ill post pics when I get home. This is my second Katana.

Comment

Congrats, enjoy the ride!
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Here she is. '93 Kat 750. I know the plastics say 600, but it's at least a 750. First thing to go are the plastics. She needs a few cosmetics, but the bike rides solid.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X