X

96 600GSX, Carb Problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 600GSX, Carb Problems

I'm not sure I'm even going to rebuild these as I was told they were done before and I am 99% sure it wasn't done right.

Carb for Cyl1 just leaks while the fuel is open.

Carb 1&2 while running (barely) the outside butterfly stays closed while 3&4 open and work when throttle is applied.

Ideas?

Leaky float valve and carb sync needed
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Yeah something is not right. Dismount them, take them apart and upload pics.

It'll be hard to see tiny details from pics, but we will at least get an idea of what we are dealing with.

Comment

Does anyone know what a rebuild would cost, I'd rather not rebuild these. I don't have the patience or time really.

What would it cost to rebuild these verse just picking up another set?

My concern is that I can clearly see they were taken apart and I bet there is something missing.

Comment

See Arsenic for rebuilt carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
            See Arsenic for rebuilt carbs.

Thanks! I'll check with him for sure.

I just contacted http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com which I found in another thread regarding parts and kits.

I looked at the manual and it's not like the older 4 barrel carbs, appears to be a lot less intensive.

I figure any used carb set is going to have the same or similar problems, so I don't know, maybe work on rebuilding them.

Should I rebuild all 4? The carbs on 3&4 appear to be working fine, 1&2 are just leaking and the front butterfly won't open, it moved if I open it but not when started. It would only run with full choke, died immediately when choked, wouldn't rev with any throttle.

I was looking at some of the threads here and figured there is certainly a lot of help. if needed.

Opinions?

Comment

It's absolutely pointless to clean only one carb body. It's all or nothing I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
                It's absolutely pointless to clean only one carb body. It's all or nothing I'm afraid.

Totally agree.

I'll see what I can get for parts along with the valves that is causing the leak.

I'll be alone in a hotel all next week, perfectly quiet and clean work space.

One more question. With the symptoms I mentioned, other than a standard kit, and float valves, is there anything else you think I need outside the norm?

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
                Yeah something is not right. Dismount them, take them apart and upload pics.

It'll be hard to see tiny details from pics, but we will at least get an idea of what we are dealing with.

Would this leak also cause those 2 cylinders to become flooded with fuel?
                Last edited by silentdub; 09-03-2013, 09:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by silentdub View Post
                  Would this leak also cause those 2 cylinders to become flooded with fuel?
                  Yes it would.

Comment

Don't know how your going to do it in a hotel room but, have you downloaded 'carbs 101' It will guide you through the entire rebuild and what you will need. Make sure all of the linkage springs are there, from the sound of it they may be gone or assembled incorrectly.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Fuel leaking from a carb is generally assocaited with 1. Float height wrong, 2. Float needle damaged, dirty, or needle seat is dirty/damaged, 3. oring sealing the float needle seat is bad.

A full cleaning is suggested for all 3 problems... your in there, do it now.

Throttle plate/butterfly not opening with the rest is probably a missing/lost spring associated with the sync point. There is a spring on either side of the plate that holds it tight and in conjunction with the others. If the spring goes missing, then you can have alot of movement by the other butterflys but it not move the one.

Arsenic has stated lots of times that he doesn't clean other's carbs. He will sell you a fully rebuilt set and offer a core charge on yours... if he has a set already done or near done.

I will on occasion offer to rebuild a set.

Either way you go, your looking at some $... it's cheaper than having a local shop do it either way though.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

yeah, clearly I don't have a choice in the matter. The carbs need to be done, I have them off now, looking for the parts kit.

Can anyone recommend a place to get all of the rebuild parts required?

I emailed this one place motorcyclecarb or something and got nothing back. Is there anyone else?

I see a few carb kits for sale on ebay, but I am worried that they will need rebuilding too, so why not just start with what I have.
                        Last edited by silentdub; 09-07-2013, 11:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                        X