Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Think I found the cause of some of my problems.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I found the cause of some of my problems.

Lately I have what looks like built up gas on the left side of my carbs. I also have been having cold start issues if the bike was sat for a while (week or so)... Pulled the plastics off (why is that such a difficult thing) and pulled the gas tank off (why exactly did I fill it before I decided to do this?) and looked at the fuel filter. It was half melted/warped and was leaking.

I think this was the cause of some of my problems. Got a replacement at Auto Zone (they had one that was roughly the same size).

Melted / warped due to heat? Over here, Shell fuels have an additive that eats the plastic of some fuel filters. It happened on the boat, old car and bike. Other fuels brands don't do it. So, if your issue isn't due to heat, it might have something to do with quality of filter and fuel. Also, just FYI, plenty have reported running issues resulting from non-genuine filters, so you might be best to source a Suzuki filter asap.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
      Melted / warped due to heat? Over here, Shell fuels have an additive that eats the plastic of some fuel filters. It happened on the boat, old car and bike. Other fuels brands don't do it. So, if your issue isn't due to heat, it might have something to do with quality of filter and fuel. Also, just FYI, plenty have reported running issues resulting from non-genuine filters, so you might be best to source a Suzuki filter asap.
      Maybe a little from both. I am now using Shell Non-Ethanol (only on my 2nd tank). I thinkt his filter has been leaking for a while because I have this stain on the left most carb (which makes sense because the bike leans to the left on the stand).

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
        ... Also, just FYI, plenty have reported running issues resulting from non-genuine filters, so you might be best to source a Suzuki filter asap.

+1

Most people don't recognize the issues this causes either, and end up doing all kinds of crazy expensive repairs/work ....

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          +1

Most people don't recognize the issues this causes either, and end up doing all kinds of crazy expensive repairs/work ....

Krey
          I thought this was more size related. That some aftermarket filters don't have the same volume and that causes the issue.. this one is roughly the same (and even a little larger). Will keep in mind if I stall out to check the filter tho. I don't think the one that was on my bike was a suzuki filter either tho.

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
            I thought this was more size related. That some aftermarket filters don't have the same volume and that causes the issue.. this one is roughly the same (and even a little larger). Will keep in mind if I stall out to check the filter tho. I don't think the one that was on my bike was a suzuki filter either tho.
            Biggest issue is the filter element. IF it's paper, your going to have problems.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Biggest issue is the filter element. IF it's paper, your going to have problems.

Krey
              Every filter I have seen has been paper.

Does it makes sense that this could have caused my cold start issues after sitting for a little while (days or weeks) or do I have another problem?

BTW got a new choke cable on it and it works perfect so the old cable was def. the problem there.

Comment

Every filter I have seen has been paper.

Does it makes sense that this could have caused my cold start issues after sitting for a little while (days or weeks) or do I have another problem?

BTW got a new choke cable on it and it works perfect so the old cable was def. the problem there.
                The OEM filter uses a pressed metal element inside.

Looks similiar to this...

Paper filters will not flow enough fuel regularly with out pressure. They work fine in presurized system like fuel injected bikes, but... on gravity fed systems, your asking for problems.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

I've just checked my spare fuel filter, took it apart for the fun of it. It's a steel can, inside two screens of wire mesh (flow side is finer than inlet side) with a copper coloured ball bearing that rattled about inside.

I scraped some of the copper off, it appears to be steel under and it's magnetic.

I bought it at Autozone for about $8.

No paper anywhere to be seen.

I'd take apart the OEM filter to check it too, but it's now my spare

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
                    I've just checked my spare fuel filter, took it apart for the fun of it. It's a steel can, inside two screens of wire mesh (flow side is finer than inlet side) with a copper coloured ball bearing that rattled about inside.

I scraped some of the copper off, it appears to be steel under and it's magnetic.

I bought it at Autozone for about $8.

No paper anywhere to be seen.

I'd take apart the OEM filter to check it too, but it's now my spare
                    The OEM filter uses a pressed metal element inside.

Looks similiar to this...

Paper filters will not flow enough fuel regularly with out pressure. They work fine in presurized system like fuel injected bikes, but... on gravity fed systems, your asking for problems.

Krey
                    Next time I have the bike apart I will swap out the filter for a non-paper one. It was the only thing I could get on a Saturday (motorcycle stores close on sat early and don't open against til Tuesday in Tallahassee). The auto zone only had this paper one that I got for 4 bucks. The one that was on it def. wasn't OEM then because it was paper too.
                    Never answer if you think this could have been my cold start issue tho.

Comment

Never answer if you think this could have been my cold start issue tho.
                      No clue... but anytime you can get another problem out of the way, the better off you are.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Just bought this filter (see attachment). Is that more like a correct one?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X