X

Need help new Kat rider!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help new Kat rider!

New to the board and just bought a 2002 stock Suzuki 600. Can't wait to hear some advice from you guys about making the performance on this bike better. I plan on purchasing a aftermarket exhaust,k&n airfilter,etc. One thing I'm lost on whats the difference with a power commander and a jetkit? Or can you use both these sametime? I use to own a zx6r so its not my first time riding. Posted some photos below. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=34zass2&s=5 and http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=v6udjd&s=5
    Last edited by nyguy42; 07-29-2013, 03:25 AM.

jet kit is for carbs, and power commander is for fuel injected. I heard that K&N air filters cause the bike to run like crap, atleast some bikes , mine runs fine with one, atleast I think it does.

Comment

Originally posted by nyguy42 View Post
      New to the board and just bought a 2002 stock Suzuki 600. Can't wait to hear some advice from you guys about making the performance on this bike better. I plan on purchasing a aftermarket exhaust,k&n airfilter,etc. One thing I'm lost on whats the difference with a power commander and a jetkit? Or can you use both these sametime? I use to own a zx6r so its not my first time riding. Posted some photos below. http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=34zass2&s=5 and http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=v6udjd&s=5
      How much money do you want to throw at it?

The exhaust doesn't change the performance, it will just be for sound.
      K&N air filter will make it run worse.
      Factory Pro stage 1 jet kit will smooth out the power delivery, but won't make more.
      Ignition advancer will improve throttle response, and move the power a little lower in rpm range, but again... won't add more.

As mentioned, power commander is for electronically controlled EFI, and not for these bikes.

If you really want to see a big improvement in performance... start with suspension.

Finally... if you want to make the bike faster with more power, swap the engine. Seriously... this isn't a flip response.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Krey hit the nail on the head.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          How much money do you want to throw at it?

The exhaust doesn't change the performance, it will just be for sound.
          K&N air filter will make it run worse.
          Factory Pro stage 1 jet kit will smooth out the power delivery, but won't make more.
          Ignition advancer will improve throttle response, and move the power a little lower in rpm range, but again... won't add more.

As mentioned, power commander is for electronically controlled EFI, and not for these bikes.

If you really want to see a big improvement in performance... start with suspension.

Finally... if you want to make the bike faster with more power, swap the engine. Seriously... this isn't a flip response.

Krey
          I guess how much money don't really bother me. You say swap out the engine,so where do I find one? And exactly how much faster would it make the Kat knowing it does 70hp stock?

Comment

I guess how much money don't really bother me. You say swap out the engine,so where do I find one? And exactly how much faster would it make the Kat knowing it does 70hp stock?
            Check the forums first for the motor swap info. I believe this post is what you need. Your best bet for a motor would be ebay or a local junk yard. Either way, you have no idea how long the motor hasn't been running or what condition it's in.

As for HP, that depends on the motor you go with.

Comment

Kats have 86 or 80 hp (depending on where we are talking)...

Best thing I ever did for my 06 Katana 600 was an ignition advancer... I bought mine from holeshot... I believe it was +5 deg.

Comment

Generally speaking...

the Post 750 is around 96hp, the pre 750 around 106hp, and the B12s/1127 motors are around 118ish... varying from gsxr/katana 1100/bandit 1200.

The bandit motors have more low end torque and cap out sooner, the 1127 gsxr motors have more top end. BOTH will blow the socks off the 750/600cc motors.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Generally speaking...

the Post 750 is around 96hp, the pre 750 around 106hp, and the B12s/1127 motors are around 118ish... varying from gsxr/katana 1100/bandit 1200.

The bandit motors have more low end torque and cap out sooner, the 1127 gsxr motors have more top end. BOTH will blow the socks off the 750/600cc motors.

Krey
                  600 post are around 80 bhp/86 hp

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                    Kats have 86 or 80 hp (depending on where we are talking)...

Best thing I ever did for my 06 Katana 600 was an ignition advancer... I bought mine from holeshot... I believe it was +5 deg.
                    This is first time I've heard of these ignition advancers, what does this do to the performance?
                    - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
                      This is first time I've heard of these ignition advancers, what does this do to the performance?

Comment

Working...
                      X