Shifting from Second to First

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting from Second to First

Hey Guys,

New to this forum and also just bought my first bike and it so happened to be a Katana. So I bought this about 3 weeks ago from a gentleman who took really good care of the bike and the test drive went smooth. However, after a while, my friends and I has ridden the bike and we've noticed that shifting from second to first, the shifting is kind of weird. Sometimes it gets stuck at neutral and over-reving occurs. You could also feel like the chain is hitting something (but it isn't). Any ideas how to fix this problem? In addition, shifting from 6th to 5th and any other gears has no problems, only second to first.

Originally posted by KPDL6290 View Post
    Hey Guys,

New to this forum and also just bought my first bike and it so happened to be a Katana. So I bought this about 3 weeks ago from a gentleman who took really good care of the bike and the test drive went smooth. However, after a while, my friends and I has ridden the bike and we've noticed that shifting from second to first, the shifting is kind of weird. Sometimes it gets stuck at neutral and over-reving occurs. You could also feel like the chain is hitting something (but it isn't). Any ideas how to fix this problem? In addition, shifting from 6th to 5th and any other gears has no problems, only second to first.

More details... are you moving and how fast if you are when you do this?

Generally speaking, shift with confidence.. (tap the shifter pretty good) and make sure your clutching right, and your not moving more than 5mph.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

You definitely will be moving more than 5mph when shifting from 1st to 2nd. But yes, pull the shifter with authority. It isn't uncommon for someone to accidentally shove it into neutral, then over-rev, then try to slam it into 2nd while its over-revved causing clinking and jerking.

Comment

Generally speaking I never down shift into 1st, whether bikes or cars. Hard on the tranny.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
          Generally speaking I never down shift into 1st, whether bikes or cars. Hard on the tranny.
          Same here. I'll shift into 1st just as I'm about to come to a full stop. One of the best things a new rider can learn is how to rev-match while down-shifting by "blipping" the throttle.
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
            You definitely will be moving more than 5mph when shifting from 1st to 2nd. But yes, pull the shifter with authority. It isn't uncommon for someone to accidentally shove it into neutral, then over-rev, then try to slam it into 2nd while its over-revved causing clinking and jerking.

Hrm... could have sworn the OP was asking about downshifting... not up.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I must be dyslexic. Going from 2nd to 1st is always clunky when you're moving. That 5mph mark is about right. I typically let the bike coast to around 8mph, then click down into 1st without using the clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                Katana has a WIDE ratio gap between 1st & 2nd so I don't do it either. On my ZX-10R it's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                  Same here. I'll shift into 1st just as I'm about to come to a full stop. One of the best things a new rider can learn is how to rev-match while down-shifting by "blipping" the throttle.
                  The rev match thing came natural to me when I was a kid learning to ride a DR100 in 1986. Most of my instruction other than teaching me to shift was my Dad pointing to the field I would learn in and saying something to the effect of, "Don't make your Mom mad at me for buying this".

First to second on every bike I have ridden at this point always felt a little different than the rest of the shifts, so I do as noted in this thread: shift quick and confident with no little taps especially around 2nd gear and don't shift to first unless you are stopped.

Comment

shouldn't have to shift to 1st unless you are going really slow

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                      +1
                      Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Just wait til you shift from 1st into neutral (on accident) and try to tap into 2nd.. That is always fun.

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                          Just wait til you shift from 1st into neutral (on accident) and try to tap into 2nd.. That is always fun.
                          First time that happened to me, I thought I'd destroyed the gearbox.
                          Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

Originally posted by ErrEs View Post
                            First time that happened to me, I thought I'd destroyed the gearbox.
                            Oh I have been riding for years and the noise and feel still makes me cringe. I feel like I am about to destroy the gear everytime.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, that was very helpful. Sorry for the late reply. Another issue I have is that I changed my brake pads and my rear brakes are still squeaking a little when I come to about 15-25 mph. I brought it to a mechanic and they cleaned the rotors, and it helped, however, it still squeaks slightly (less loud). Any suggestion? This bike has been in great condition and nothing is wrong with it. Please let me know what you guys think.

Comment

Working...
                              X