X

fuel tank size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel tank size

hey guys i just got back from the gas station and my fuel gauge said i was on empty. put 11.50 in witch was like 2.6gal and am now on full... i thought it had a 5.2gal tank??? am i missing something or is my fuel gauge bad, did i get wrong info on tank size?
    any info helps

thanks,chris
    track pro

I can tell you that from the red, I can fill my bike with premium for $10 so I don't think there is anything wrong with your gauge. I have wondered similarly about how much must be left before I would run out and in reserve though if I am barely using half of the tank before filling. I remember reading the tank on my 02 is 5.5 gallons.

Comment

yea my bike doesnt get the best gas millage anywase maby 100 miles to a tank
      track pro

Comment

Originally posted by dr.house0989 View Post
        yea my bike doesnt get the best gas millage anywase maby 100 miles to a tank
        Is that on 11.5 litres or a tank? If you're getting 100 miles from 5 gallons, you have a serious problem. The tank is 20 litres or about 5.2 US gallons. The gauge is a rough guide at best.

Comment

welli have never been able to put more than 14 dollers in my tank roughly 3 gal so if it is a 5 gal tank then my fuel gauge is WAY off
          track pro

Comment

I've posted about this a few times.

The fuel gauge runs F to E, with the needle hitting the bottom of E right around the time you hit reserve.

You have about a 1.5 gallon reserve.

If your proactive and fill up right before the needle hits E... then your filling up with about half a tank of gas actually left.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Krey
              hey man you alwaze seem to have the answer i need and thanks for all the knowledge you bestow on me.

and wow i din not realise i still had a half tank left when hitting Empty.
              track pro

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                I've posted about this a few times.

The fuel gauge runs F to E, with the needle hitting the bottom of E right around the time you hit reserve.

You have about a 1.5 gallon reserve.

If your proactive and fill up right before the needle hits E... then your filling up with about half a tank of gas actually left.

Krey

Yes I've seen those other posts Now an interesting question while we are on the subject is.... Where is the sweet spot on the speedometer /Tach that you get the BEST mileage from? IE most cars/trucks it's usually 55MPH at 2200 RPM. So what cruising speed delivers the best gas mileage on a Katana? I'm sure tires play an important role in that as well as rider weight.
                2006 Suzuki GSXF-750 Katana

"If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything"

Comment

Originally posted by dr.house0989 View Post
                  Krey
                  hey man you alwaze seem to have the answer i need and thanks for all the knowledge you bestow on me.

and wow i din not realise i still had a half tank left when hitting Empty.
                  The manual and the fact you put in 11.5l at empty should have told you almost exactly that.

Comment

MY tank on empty before reserve used to take around 10 when i filled my tank up yesterday which had no gas at all in it took almost 17 to fill just because the gauge says its empty dont assume it is plus you have a reserve

Comment

I really like the fuel capacity, I can go 320 km before reserve and then have 5 liters of fuel to find a station.
                      2004 Honda ST1300
                      1999 Katana 750 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by muddyman184 View Post
                        MY tank on empty before reserve used to take around 10 when i filled my tank up yesterday which had no gas at all in it took almost 17 to fill just because the gauge says its empty dont assume it is plus you have a reserve
                        The amount of reserve is pre determined by the petcock. Since all petcocks are the same height, the reserve amount on these bikes with a properly working petcock is always the same. Gauges can fluxuate or have variances. The petcock doesn't lie.... UNLESS.... you have a damaged petcock that is flowing reserve instead at all times.

Then.... yes, you will drain the entire tank before running out of gas.

This is the same thing as just leaving the petcock on reserve... or prime. Prime will do the same thing.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by SRsage View Post
                          Yes I've seen those other posts Now an interesting question while we are on the subject is.... Where is the sweet spot on the speedometer /Tach that you get the BEST mileage from? IE most cars/trucks it's usually 55MPH at 2200 RPM. So what cruising speed delivers the best gas mileage on a Katana? I'm sure tires play an important role in that as well as rider weight.
                          112 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by sprocket rocket View Post
                            112 mph.
                            ......Oh ima catch hell with tickets.....wonder if the judge will allow me to plead "I did it for the MPG"
                            2006 Suzuki GSXF-750 Katana

"If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything"

Comment

did someone say they were filling with premium??? pretty sure we're supposed to be running 87.

Comment

Working...
                              X