X

gas cap stuck.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas cap stuck.

I just got a 93 Kat GSX600FP. The key fits the gas cap lock, but it only turns a little bit, not enough to open the cap. I have the ring loose, but can not see how to open the cap without the key working. Any help I appreciated.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!!

Current rides
    1993 Suzuki Katana 600
    1981 Yamaha XS1100 Special

lube it real good. the tongue is most likely stuck. if that doesn't work remove the fuel gauge sending unit (round object on the bottom of the tank) and access the tongue from the bottom with a long screw driver. That is why I don't have that cap anymore. I use this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Hayab...9f99a5&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 06-02-2013, 01:07 AM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

same thing happened to me when i first got my 1990. dont try to force it open with the key, youll bend it, you also cant get it off by unbolting the ring, i tried it. you need to get that key turned in order to take it off.

first make sure your pushing down on the gas cap when trying to open it, it takes some of the force off the locking mechanism and makes it easier to open. i sprayed wd-40 in the key hole and turned the key back and forth with moderate force slowly inching it open. i did this several times letting it sit a few min between tries and spraying it frequently with wd-40. doing this i was able to get it open in 30 min or so. try doing what i did and it mite solve the problem.

if this doesn't work you can try taking the gas tank off and remove the petcock from the gas tank, get some cemtol-b12 (or some other carb cleaner) and try to spray it on the bottom part of the gas cap through the hole where the petcock was, then try the first part again. hopefully that helps.

Comment

I've shown this to another member who brought me a tank and said "the cap just won't come off... )

Removed the fuel sensor.

Sprayed lube on the latches inside. (I used pb blaster, but any good lube will work).

Waited 30 seconds.

Used a long screw driver /pry bar to put pressure on/push in one of the latches.

Turned the key, lid came right off.

Spraying into the key hole will take a very long time to get it to work. The tumbler is a separate container. It's also NOT what is sticking. It will take a long time for the fluid to get down into the tumbler, fill enough to flow out of it, and then work it's way down to the latches. Skip all that, spray the stuck parts directly.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for the ideas! I pulled the sending unit, wow that is a tight fit on the float. Have been pring on the latches, sprayed them down well with Liquid Wrench, going to add some PB Blaster to it.

I will say I have never poured that kind of muck out of a tank before. HAd almost a gallon of fluid in there. Not sure I can call it gas. It was more brown than anything and had no smell whatsoever to it. Time for a good rinsing and some Metal Rescue. Hopefully it does not end up leaking. But first, I need to get the dang cap off...I have a method, now it will just be fun time getting it to work.

I figure worst case is try to get the two screws out that hold the lock together.

On another note, I am disassembling the carbs for cleaning. I got one most of the way broke down, but not sure how to get the emulsion tube (aka Needle Jet) out. There does not seem to be access to the top to push it down out of the carb, yes, I do realize it comesout through the throat of the carb, not the float bowl side.

I also found a small o-ring laying on the table that must be part fo the carb, but I have no idea where it goes. The two on the float assy are in place, one at the enricher and one on the float seat.
          Last edited by dgxser; 06-02-2013, 07:50 AM.

Current rides
          1993 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

The emulsion tubes can be removed by inserting a bowl screw in it not fully and tap the screw. The sync port also has an o-ring.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by dgxser View Post
              Have been pring on the latches, sprayed them down well with Liquid Wrench, going to add some PB Blaster to it.
              Just to clarify... you are trying to turn the key at the same time as putting pressure on the latches right?

Cause if your only prying latches, that won't work as well.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks guys!! Got the cap off, broke it down and cleaned it up. Now to get the tank cleaned up. It is an absolute mess.

Also see where that o-ring goes. Got the carbs most of the way broken down. Just need to find my screw driver custom fit for the pilot jets.

Plenty of things done today, but plenty left to go for sure.

BTW, anyone ever had to work on one without the centerstand?? Not sure how to raise and support it wihtout one of those.

Current rides
                1993 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Stands and a floor jack.
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran

Comment

So I have the cap cleaned up, using Metal Rescue on the tank. Went to put the cap back on, it takes force on the key to even start the arms on the cap back out.

Did I get it assembled in the wrong order, is this normal? Everything is cleaned and lubed, the arms pop right out before assembling the unit.

Current rides
                    1993 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Push down on the cap and then turn the key. I know others (including myself) on the forum have to do this as well to both open and close the gas cap.

Comment

Not normal.

Did you polish the internal parts to remove the oxidization that caused them to freeze up to start with?

If you did... use a dry graphite lube. Sold at any hardware store as a "lock lube".

krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

OK, I took it back apart, this time I pulled the cylinder out and got that area a little cleaner. Also sprayed it with graphite. Works much better!! Thanks for the hints and advice!!

Not sure if I should start a new thread, but as an additional question, what style pilot jets did the 93 650 use. It is the BST33SS carbs as shown in the Carb 101 tip, my pilots have zero holes in the sides, like the pics in the tip. However, my locall stealership tells me they have no pilots wihtout holes, never seen them. My assumption is I should use what is in it, but the carbs have been worked on before, so no telling what a previous owner might have done.

Current rides
                          1993 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by dgxser View Post
                            93 650
                            Errr...600? I have no holes in the side of my pilot jets (95 600)

Comment

Originally posted by Jerkeife View Post
                              Errr...600? I have no holes in the side of my pilot jets (95 600)

umm...yeah...600

thanks, I went to buy new jets at the dealer, the ones I pulled out have no holes, but someone had been in the carbs as the mains are larger than stock. Dealer says they never saw pilots with no holes. So just making sure. I have seen guys fight with carbs for a looonngg time over having the wrong pilot jets regarding hole pattern.

Current rides
                              1993 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X