X

Rear sets ???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear sets ???

So was out and about on my fighter this past weekend and ended up getting into some twists, while doing so I ended up scraping the peg portion of my rear sets ( and ended up dragging the tip of my shoe and wrecking them) but I was wondering has any one tried to put on different rear sets ??? or modifying them ??? curious to see if any one has done it before?

1993 gsx750f streetfighter.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    1993 gsx750f Streetfighter

If its worth doing, its worth over doing!!

You'd never have a motorcycle policeman out on the Indian reservation.
    Alex Cox

Your foot position is probably wrong.

It's also possible you are over leaning the bike.

In any event, changing the rear sets isn't a total solution.

Scraping the peg means you are out of tire.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

If it's lowered any or has the OEM suspension... it's the suspension.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        Your foot position is probably wrong.

It's also possible you are over leaning the bike.

In any event, changing the rear sets isn't a total solution.

Scraping the peg means you are out of tire.
        Im a big guy with size 15 feat so my position is not correct I know that and it has stock rear shock but I have a spring up grade in the front.

I have heard a lot of things about a b 12 shock??? Is that something I should look into ???

Alex Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Gajewski View Post
          Im a big guy with size 15 feat so my position is not correct I know that and it has stock rear shock but I have a spring up grade in the front.

I have heard a lot of things about a b 12 shock??? Is that something I should look into ???

Definitely.

I would suggest getting it modified to not hit the cusion, but then you would want a new spring on it for your size anyways.

Terry at Racetech can build up one that would work sweet for you.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Definitely.

I would suggest getting it modified to not hit the cusion, but then you would want a new spring on it for your size anyways.

Terry at Racetech can build up one that would work sweet for you.

Krey
            Thanks a lot, I will havet to go finde Terry haha.

Buy the way I'm 6'5 280 lbs and I'm running a stock rear shock, so question??? Should i get a lot more cornering out of the bike with this mod ??? Just curious I want to no what will happen before drop cash, on a some what serious mod.
            I will have to look for a b12 mod thread on here I guess. thanks for the help!!

Alex Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Gajewski View Post
              Thanks a lot, I will havet to go finde Terry haha.

Buy the way I'm 6'5 280 lbs and I'm running a stock rear shock, so question??? Should i get a lot more cornering out of the bike with this mod ??? Just curious I want to no what will happen before drop cash, on a some what serious mod.
              I will have to look for a b12 mod thread on here I guess. thanks for the help!!

Your stock rear shock is toast and has been for a long time. It's dried up and not re-buildable. It's under sprung to start with. It's not offering hardly any damping, and what damping it does offer only slows down the rebound. So when your hitting the curves, the tail end drops too fast, and is slow to come back up. The faster you hit the curves, the more the rear sinks and stays that way as it does not have time to come back up. Starting lower for the next curve only causes it to continue this drop of height in the rear. You get sluggish handling and lower clearance the more curves you do. If you hit a good set of twisties, by the 3rd curve you can't help but drag the foot peg with any speed at all.

A rebuilt B12 will solve all that.

OEM it has too soft a spring for you, and will want to push the rear end up 2" higher. This puts the spring hitting the cushion though, and you don't want that.

Having Terry rebuild it, with your weight in mind... he can put a new spring appropriate for you on it, shim the shaft to shorten the max length of travel (tell him 1.75" height raise for the rear) so it doesn't contact the cushion, and properly valve the shock so it's doing it's job for your weigh.

You will see a significant improvement in handling just from the 1.75" raise on the rear to start with at slower speeds, but at speeds in the curves you will have more clearance, the performance will be significantly better on how it handles, it won't "compact" on the curves dropping the rear, and you will find that handling those turns now becomes much easier physically to do.

You also will have a lot more clearance for the foot pegs and toes.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Your stock rear shock is toast and has been for a long time. It's dried up and not re-buildable. It's under sprung to start with. It's not offering hardly any damping, and what damping it does offer only slows down the rebound. So when your hitting the curves, the tail end drops too fast, and is slow to come back up. The faster you hit the curves, the more the rear sinks and stays that way as it does not have time to come back up. Starting lower for the next curve only causes it to continue this drop of height in the rear. You get sluggish handling and lower clearance the more curves you do. If you hit a good set of twisties, by the 3rd curve you can't help but drag the foot peg with any speed at all.

A rebuilt B12 will solve all that.

OEM it has too soft a spring for you, and will want to push the rear end up 2" higher. This puts the spring hitting the cushion though, and you don't want that.

Having Terry rebuild it, with your weight in mind... he can put a new spring appropriate for you on it, shim the shaft to shorten the max length of travel (tell him 1.75" height raise for the rear) so it doesn't contact the cushion, and properly valve the shock so it's doing it's job for your weigh.

You will see a significant improvement in handling just from the 1.75" raise on the rear to start with at slower speeds, but at speeds in the curves you will have more clearance, the performance will be significantly better on how it handles, it won't "compact" on the curves dropping the rear, and you will find that handling those turns now becomes much easier physically to do.

You also will have a lot more clearance for the foot pegs and toes.

Krey
                So I have taken this into serious consideration and have ben saving some money for this specific reason,But i was wondering what something like this runs a guy, i'm 19 working a full time job and going to school, so i'm looking for the best bang for my buck. Great picture buy the way!!!!

Alex Cox

Comment

Terry is tmod on this site so you can pm him or
                  http://www.racetech.com/ when u call there is a prompt for Terry
                  Ride like it's your last ride
                  sigpic

Comment

Only way to know is contacting Terry. There really isn't a swap an be done option. Most guys go for the R6 rear shock swap but it drops the rear about 3/4 inch which is no good for you lol
                    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Working...
                    X