X

rear tire size, what to expect

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear tire size, what to expect

I have an 02 600. Ever since I got her 2 years and 20K miles ago I have been running a 160/60 on the rear. Now, because of availability and nail issues, I am having a factory sized 150/70 put on in the morning. I am sure that the 150 will not look quite as aggressive but I am curious how the change will affect the handling and steering of the bike. I would guess that putting a skinnier, taller tire on will give me a quicker turn in but what will the negative effect be? I thought if anyone would know the answer, you guys would.

I will report back tomorrow and let you all know how it rides with the new tire on. I am going to be at the bike shop when they open in the morning. They have a Dunlop for $120 or a Shinko for $105. I guess I will get the Dunlop. Also, do you guys get use two rear tires for every front or replace them both when the rear gets bad? I have been replacing them both, but this time I am just putting a new rear on because the front is still fine and cost is an issue.

Originally posted by sprocket rocket View Post
    I have an 02 600. Ever since I got her 2 years and 20K miles ago I have been running a 160/60 on the rear. Now, because of availability and nail issues, I am having a factory sized 150/70 put on in the morning. I am sure that the 150 will not look quite as aggressive but I am curious how the change will affect the handling and steering of the bike. I would guess that putting a skinnier, taller tire on will give me a quicker turn in but what will the negative effect be? I thought if anyone would know the answer, you guys would.

I will report back tomorrow and let you all know how it rides with the new tire on. I am going to be at the bike shop when they open in the morning. They have a Dunlop for $120 or a Shinko for $105. I guess I will get the Dunlop. Also, do you guys get use two rear tires for every front or replace them both when the rear gets bad? I have been replacing them both, but this time I am just putting a new rear on because the front is still fine and cost is an issue.
    The only negative is looks.

I generally replace each tire only when it needs it (wears out) unless I'm swapping to a differnt brand. I don't like to mix brands.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

You'll notice a quality difference a lot more than that small size difference.

That being said, you couldn't pay me to put a Dunlop on anything with an engine.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I normally get 2 rears to 1 front as well, but like Scotty I will not run Dumbflops again.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          The only negative is looks.

I generally replace each tire only when it needs it (wears out) unless I'm swapping to a differnt brand. I don't like to mix brands.

Krey
          Now you have me worried. I will have a the Bridestone Battlax which is about half left on the front and the new Dunlop on the rear. Why do you not like to mix brands? Do you think that it is going to ride poorly with different brands on? I have never had a different brand on the front than on the rear and I really didn't think that much about it. I hope it doesn't cause a problem.

Comment

I have ridden with different brands front and rear and never had a problem, I am not saying it is the thing to do, but it worked ok for me. With that said, from what I understand these tires are designed to work with the mating tread patterns front and rear.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I got battlax on front and I just installed a 160 on rear pilots and it runs so much better a better turn and lean . I haven't felt any bad with mixing brands but I'm eventually gone switch to pilots front also ..

Comment

I also mix and match and have never had a problem, but I also don't ride very aggressively. Lots of super slab for the commute, but little time for twisties
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

What Shinko? I didn't think they made many 150/17 tyres. There are a couple of old tech (bias ply, not radial) sport touring tyres and a dual sport tyre in that size. I think I would shell out an extra $50 for a Michelin.

With a 150, a few surprising things will happen ...

1) The bike will appear to travel faster
                  2) Your fuel consumption will appear to increase
                  3) It will be easier to place on the centre stand
                  4) Depending on actual tyre chosen, it should drop in to corners better and handle better
                  Last edited by TRPUT; 05-21-2013, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sprocket rocket View Post
                    Now you have me worried. I will have a the Bridestone Battlax which is about half left on the front and the new Dunlop on the rear. Why do you not like to mix brands? Do you think that it is going to ride poorly with different brands on? I have never had a different brand on the front than on the rear and I really didn't think that much about it. I hope it doesn't cause a problem.

Honestly, if you think the battleaxe is a "good" tire what so ever... you don't need to worry about mixing brands. Your not riding in a manner that pushes them in any way.

I don't mix brands because they have different "warm up" periods when riding aggressively. I used to also not worry until I realized some of the grip issues I was having was 1 tire being nice and confidence inspiring (warm and grippy at that moment), and the other not quite warm yet... pushing and sliding through the curves. Wasn't fun. Both tires of the same brands tends to reduce that issue for me.

With in the same brand, I would have less issue mixing tires... For example, I don't see a problem and have even heard great results from using a full on sport front but sport tour tire from Michelin on the rear. The pilot power front/pilot road 2 rear appears to work great.

Never mix bias with radial.

Actually... just never use bias.

I will say that even for non aggressive riding... next time invest a little more in a set of Pilot Road 2 tires. I promise you they will last significantly longer than what your putting on there now, and you will also find they work so much better in many ways... (smoother ride, gripper, longer lasting....)

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Dont forget that the front tire clears the road for the rear tire when it rains...so mixing is a fantastically bad idea in the wet...

If you want to cheap out on something, do it on something like windscreens or levers, dont do it on the only thing keeping you alive.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                      X