X

Is your kickstand in the way ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is your kickstand in the way ?

So I got this used Kat 750 2000 and the kickstand looks weird to me and while It's most likely not normal, i'd like to know if you feel my pain.

Here's two strange behaviors

1) When driving, the end of the kickstand points right in between the foot peg and speed shifter lever. It honestly really is in the way, my shoe catches on it.

2) When resting the bike on the kickstand, it stands really low (at a very low bike-ground angle). When the kickstand touches the ground at first, when I think it should "lock" in to place, it starts slipping lowering the angle and then it locks.

Everything LOOKS normal but hell does not FEEL normal. Any idea ?

Originally posted by slitcher View Post
    So I got this used Kat 750 2000 and the kickstand looks weird to me and while It's most likely not normal, i'd like to know if you feel my pain.

Here's two strange behaviors

1) When driving, the end of the kickstand points right in between the foot peg and speed shifter lever. It honestly really is in the way, my shoe catches on it.

2) When resting the bike on the kickstand, it stands really low (at a very low bike-ground angle). When the kickstand touches the ground at first, when I think it should "lock" in to place, it starts slipping lowering the angle and then it locks.

Everything LOOKS normal but hell does not FEEL normal. Any idea ?
    Take a pic...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

will do later today

Comment

I don't think it's normal. The kickstand never bothers me while riding and although my bike locks into place the same way you describe, I don't feel like she stands low. My guess is it got bent either by accident or deliberately by someone who didn't feel safe with the original setup.
        Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

When up, the end of your sidestand should be about even with the front edge of your footpeg. If it's forward of there then odds are a PO shortened it when they lowered the bike and then didn't replace it when they restored the bike to the original ride-height.

...or it's not the original part.
          ...or it's been damaged.

If it's the right length but allows the bike to lean too far over it's possible that the bolt holding it on is loose.
          Last edited by Wild-Bill; 04-07-2013, 10:10 AM.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Wild bill i think you got it exactly right. The bike was lowered when i got it so i guess its an aftermarket kickstand. Ill have to source an og one.

Ill post pics when i get back

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Thx 92xjunkie but I'm located in Canada and this seller won't sell internationally. I'll look a little further I'm pretty sure this is gonna be an easy find.

By the way anybody know if the kickstand and centerstand are "cross-compatible" with previous kats and 600s ? that would help me

Comment

Check the part numbers on Bike Bandit or Ron Ayers. Ron Ayers uses the OEM part numbers, BB uses their own part numbers but they're consistent on their site.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Hey thx Bill that's an awesome tool. Based on Bikebandit, central and kick stands are cross-compatible on all 4 models (600 pre, 600 late, 750 pre, 750 late).

Comment

If you like that, check out Ron Ayers "Where Used" search function. It'll tell you if that part was also used on other model bikes. For instance, your exhaust camshaft is the same as a 2001-2004 Bandit 1200. Sometimes that's really useful info when you're hitting ebay for parts.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

No, the stands aren't compatible pre/post.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thats strange they have the same pn on bike bandit

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Pre 600/750 uses the same center stand. Post 600/750 uses the same center stand.

Pre to post will bolt in, but the spring for the stand hooks on different sides. With a small amount of cutting/welding for the spring bracket mounting point, you can easily modify one to fit the other.

I don't remember a difference in the kickstands off hand. I'll check that tonight.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                            X