X

New rider need carb question answered please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rider need carb question answered please

Ok bought A 02 katana 600 with 14k miles on it. The bike doesnt idle I have to pull clutch in pull break in and rev at same time while stopped to keep the bike from staling. From everything I read this is somthing to do with carbs needing to be synced. How much does that ussually cost we have A local Honda dealership thats all thats in the area I was thinking about taking it there want to know what Im looking at first. Also the fricken back turn signals are not on the bike or the liscense plate mount. I bought the bike for $2000. Btw I was considering buying A ninja or cbr 250 until I seen this forum just want to say thank you to this community for helping me make right choice.

Congratulations on your new bike. You made a good choice considering the other bikes you were looking at. You probably need a carb cleaning if the bike sat for a while. You might be able to get away with running some sea foam through it (from any auto parts store). If not, you may need a full carb cleaning, instructions for which are located on this site.

Or, you may decide to install rebuilt carbs. The katriders carb expert will be along shortly to talk to ou about it.

As for turn signals, they can be purchased for 20$ or so on eBay, and easy to hook up, assuming the previous owner did not do an integrated turn signal/ tail light conversion, meaning that the turn signals blink inside the brake light. See if you have that.

Also sounds like you got a good deal, and with a little Tlc you'll be loving it in no time

Also, did you check to make sure the idle screw is set correctly? In other words, if you can get it to idle, where are the RPMs at?
    Last edited by edromero; 03-26-2013, 07:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    previous rides
    06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
    next ride - another kat

Comment

Thanks man. It did sit for A while the chick I bought it off of had A r6 and let it sit. It has A custom black on the top and yellow on the botom paint job. We already put sea foam in it. Ive seen the instruction under mechanics 101 spot I have no idea what half of those words mean... Haha. Um the chick thought that it had break likes enabled in the tail light I used turn signal and it is not working. Also I can look unde the tail light and see the cut wires but no lights plus the mount is gone also... 20$ is not bad at all.and thanks man.

Comment

Probably just needs a carb cleaning, but I think the other guys here will agree with me when I say to check your alternatives before spending so much at the dealership for what will probably be a carb cleaning
        previous rides
        06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
        next ride - another kat

Comment

How do I clean the carbs I dont know anything about bikes besides that I now own one and its going to be my main transportation (my kia spectra is kicking the bucket here soon.)

Comment

I don't have a set of 98+ 600 carbs. I mean I do, but they aren't done yet.
            carbs 102
            Last edited by arsenic; 03-26-2013, 08:30 PM.

Comment

I should of read the security notice. I just got severe mental damage

Comment

If money isn't too big of an issue, Arsenic there is The Man when it comes to rebuilt carbs, I bought a set in September for my 600 and couldn't be happier Another Suggestion: "Jet Kit!" Nuff' said. Good luck!
                92' 600- Bought 4th of July 2012

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

It kind of is A bit of A issue im only 21 working full time I just dropped $2000 on the bike so I have nothing left over Im broke. Still have to replace the rear tire soon.

Comment

Than I would suggest you learn what the words you don't understand mean.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterStreetbike View Post
                      It kind of is A bit of A issue im only 21 working full time I just dropped $2000 on the bike so I have nothing left over Im broke. Still have to replace the rear tire soon.
                      These bikes get pricey quick if you can't work on these yourself. Have you gone to the Katana Wiki and looked at the Carb 101 with pictures document?
                      My Bikes/Current: 1989 Suzuki Katana 750, 1980 Honda CB900C, 1973 Suzuki TS100, 2007 Yamaha Vino. Former: 1981 Honda CB650, 1982 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim, 2001 Yamaha V-Star, 1980 Yamaha 400, 19?? Suzuki Madura, 1974 Triumph T140E.

Comment

He needs carbs 102, I posted a link to it already.

Comment

hmm do you by chance have A dictionary with the words and pictures??

Comment

CLICK ON THIS

Comment

If you're going to clean them, use a carb dip, just don't spray them with cleaner and call them clean. Take your time, when you think your done, do them again. just to make sure you're not tearing them down again because you missed a passage somewhere. I usually soak them twice, once in the beginning to break crap up and then again after i've cleaned/ cleared ports, passages and jets. It's not difficult just time consuming.
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                              X