X

Carb rebuild?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb rebuild?

Looking for a cheap but good place to have my carbs rebuilt in the detroit area......any suggestions?

cheap and good are two different things.

Comment

well.....

They might just need to be cleaned, but I dont know if im confortable doing it myself. Too many small parts and I have no patients. Bike runs but dies at proper idle.

Comment

What carbs do you need and what do you consider "cheap"?

Comment

I have a 93 kat 600. Just had to buy a tank, forks, seals, windscreen and im going to need to do some body work and paint so i'm pretty tapped. I'm open to suggestions though.

Comment

Can't really help you with the "cheap" part, sorry.

Comment

I have a sync-pro, I'm just going to keep messing with it. Gotta learn someday!

Comment

Visit the wiki and look up carbs-102.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

1993 = Carbs 101, not 102

Comment

Garage says 1998 motor. Not sure which carbs he's got.

IOW, ogdaveross if you've got the original 1993 carbs still then it's carbs-101. If you have the carbs that were original to your engine then it's carbs-102.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I did the same Bill, that's why I asked what carbs he needed.

Comment

You need patience either way (DIY or paying someone else). It's going to take a few days no matter what. Took me a few hours to dismantle and partition and label everything. Then a day to let everything soak and another few hours to rinse, blow dry (w/ air compressor) and reassmble everything.

I am no gear head by any means, but I cleaned my carbs last year when I got my bike. Luckily, the rings and gaskets were in good shape. Otherwise, it would have gotten pretty expensive. If you have a day or two, I'd say to go for it. The carbs 101 (or 102) are excellent and the service manual is very useful. I was very surprised at the simplicity of the whole process.

I would at least try it. You may find that you don't need to buy any parts and save yourself some money. It worked for me.
                        Extra life.

Comment

When it comes to carbs cheap and good only exists if you do them yourself. Way too many threads of people having a shop do them WRONG and charging away tooo much money for the end results.
                          Ride like it's your last ride
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys! prob gonna try myself....pretty sure they are 93 carbs, 2 fuel inlets. Also if o rings are damaged can i just match them up at the hardware store?

Comment

You're probably not going to find the right size metric o-rings at the hardware store. I haven't found anyplace local that carries them. Best bet is going to be to order rebuild kits from Amazon. You need to order separately the float needles. (1/carb) They're available on Amazon, too. Look for "K&L 18-8944". Depending on condition you may also need 4 pilot jet plugs (Suzuki part#13357-34C00) and 4 fuel tube seals (Suzuki part#13673-44B00). Those can be purchased through a local bike shop or online through Bike Bandit, Ron Ayers or any place like that.

The plugs and tube seals aren't that expensive so unless you're pretty sure of them it's generally a good idea to have them on hand before you start. Carbs are one of those things where if you do it right it's a simple and easy job. If you try to cut corners then you'll be beating your head on the wall wondering what you missed.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X