Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

New Here: 91 Katana 1100F Carbs leaking!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here: 91 Katana 1100F Carbs leaking!

I picked up a 1100 Katana, with around 10k Miles on it from my neighbor.

Long story short, someone had stolen the carb's while the bike sat outside and he went on vacation. He bought a set of carbs, had them rebuilt, jetted and installed.

When you start the bike, the two little tiny nipples on the bottom of the carbs furthest to the left, are leaking fuel and alot of it. The nipples with the screws next to them.

For what it's worth, I'm mechanically inclined, I'm professionally a car mechanic, not a bike mechanic so I've got no idea what I'm looking at as far as this stuff goes.

My next idea is to just buy a set of gone-through cleaned up ones off of Ebay, or here if someone has a running set. I'd like to just take the hassle out of this and get a fresh set entirely.

Welcome to KR!
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Someone stole the carbs? They removed the tank, possibly loosened up the fairings, then stole the carbs off of a 22 year old bike that are worth $100?

Thats shitty.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

It sounds like you're talking about the bowl drains. Tighten those screws down and see if the leaks stop. No, I'm not kidding.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Yeah they took just the carbs, and the tank, and the new seat.

And i'll tighten them up and see.

Any other reason why these would leak?

The other side does not leak, I tried to switch the fuel lines around on the petcock and see if maybe thats it, just a wild guess. But no avail.

On a side note, maybe I'm not hooking the tank up right?
          Last edited by x42bnx; 02-27-2013, 11:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Welcome. I found working on motorcycle carbs easier that working on car carbs. To get bike running really nice you have to sync the carbs on the bike, so any you buy will only be bench synced.

You might want to make sure you have the correct carbs or ones that will function correctly on on the bike. I recommend you stick with the ones you have. Rebuilding them is not all that hard.

If the carb drain screws are not loose or leaking then it could be the fuel hoses connecting the carbs.

Most of us 1100 folks frequent the 1100 Kats ONLY
            Info & discussions about our Big Brothers - the 1100 Kats

The factory manual can be found here:

Look at it for how to connect the fuel petcock and fuel lines.
            Last edited by subforry; 02-27-2013, 11:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            '81 GS850G, '90 GSX1100F, '96 BMW K1100RS

Comment

They were previously rebuilt, haven't even had any miles on them yet. But they probably doesn't mean much.

The drain screws are suppose to leak? There are no other reasons for those to leak?

Originally posted by subforry View Post
              Welcome. I found working on motorcycle carbs easier that working on car carbs. To get bike running really nice you have to sync the carbs on the bike, so any you buy will only be bench synced.

You might want to make sure you have the correct carbs or ones that will function correctly on on the bike. I recommend you stick with the ones you have. Rebuilding them is not all that hard.

If the carb drain screws are not loose or leaking then it could be the fuel hoses connecting the carbs.

Most of us 1100 folks frequent the 1100 Kats ONLY
              Info & discussions about our Big Brothers - the 1100 Kats

The factory manual can be found here:

Look at it for how to connect the fuel petcock and fuel lines.

Comment

Originally posted by subforry View Post
                ...Most of us 1100 folks frequent the 1100 Kats ONLY
                http://katriders.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=170...
                Speak for yourself.

Originally posted by x42bnx View Post
                ...The drain screws are suppose to leak? There are no other reasons for those to leak?
                No, they're not supposed to leak. When you loosen the drain screws the carb bowls are supposed to drain through the nipples on the bottoms of the bowls. Then you tighten them back down before refilling the bowls. If there's something between the end of the screw and the seating surface, that could cause them to leak, too but chances are that whoever rebuilt your carbs just forgot to tighten those screws back down.

If that doesn't stop your leak problem then make sure that the leak is actually coming from the nipples, not from above there and just running down to drip off the nipples. Next most likely culprit would be float needles not seating or floats adjusted too high.
                Last edited by Wild-Bill; 02-28-2013, 12:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

With the bike running, I was wiping the nipples off and watching more fuel drip out of them. So I'll try to tighten them down tomorrow.

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  Speak for yourself.

No, they're not supposed to leak. When you loosen the drain screws the carb bowls are supposed to drain through the nipples on the bottoms of the bowls. Then you tighten them back down before refilling the bowls. If there's something between the end of the screw and the seating surface, that could cause them to leak, too but chances are that whoever rebuilt your carbs just forgot to tighten those screws back down.

If that doesn't stop your leak problem then make sure that the leak is actually coming from the nipples, not from above there and just running down to drip off the nipples. Next most likely culprit would be float needles not seating or floats adjusted too high.

Comment

Working...
                  X