Just wondered?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondered?

Ok serious replys only...

I have a 2004 Katana 600, I have been chasing an issue since i bought the bike. The issue is at take off from say a red light, from 1500 rpm and 3000 rpm the bike falls on its face and just dont want to take off. How ever at idle the bike revs just fine no "lag". It only seems to be an issue with a load added. It only has 10,000 mi carbs are clean, new plugs, jets, oil changed and yes it did it before all that.

I guess what im asking is what could i be missing? Is this a common issue with carb bikes or katana's?
    Last edited by Mr Exiled; 08-09-2012, 06:45 PM.

Originally posted by Mr Exiled View Post
    Ok series replys only...

I have a 2004 Katana 600, I have been chasing an issue since i bought the bike. The issue is at take off from say a red light, from 1500 rpm and 3000 rpm the bike falls on its face and just dont want to take off. How ever at idle the bike revs just fine no "lag". It only seems to be an issue with a load added. It only has 10,000 mi carbs are clean, new plugs, jets, oil changed and yes it did it before all that.

I guess what im asking is what could i be missing? Is this a common issue with carb bikes or katana's?

I recently saw an issue very similiar. I was able to easily recreate the problem by trying to do a slow up hill ride and it would want to bog out /no power.

Turned out to be a plug boot was sparking/arcing on the walls of the plug well. Only saw it as after working for several hours chasing down carb and other issues as possibilities, it was just getting dark and I had eased it into the garage... very low light, looked like a christmas tree in there.

Fixed that, and the issue was gone. No issues since.

I'd check the engine in low light with the tank off to see if you might have an arc somewhere.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      I recently saw an issue very similiar. I was able to easily recreate the problem by trying to do a slow up hill ride and it would want to bog out /no power.

Turned out to be a plug boot was sparking/arcing on the walls of the plug well. Only saw it as after working for several hours chasing down carb and other issues as possibilities, it was just getting dark and I had eased it into the garage... very low light, looked like a christmas tree in there.

Fixed that, and the issue was gone. No issues since.

I'd check the engine in low light with the tank off to see if you might have an arc somewhere.

Krey
      Hmm intresting i will check it out and see. Thanks

Comment

Mine acted that way when I got it, not very much low end power. I thought that was the way the bike was supposed to be. It came with a D&D exhaust that was just to loud for me ( my wife would not ride behind me any more ). So I switched it with a yoshi and I was surprised to find my bike had a lot more low end punch then it did before. I don't know what exhaust you are running but back pressure could be part of your problem.
        Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way turn.

2001 Katana 600
        2007 Honda Reflex
        1992 Ninja ZX7

Comment

is there an 04 600 katana manual PDF on this site?

Comment

Yes up to'02 in the wiki. It's close enough
            Extra life.

Comment

This link will give you some basic info on how to tune your carbs

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Hey is anyone going to chilacothe Ohio this weekend
                Chillicothe, OHIO - Thursday, September 1, 2016 - The Biggest, Baddest, Wildest Motorcycle Rodeo Tour In America. The Best Motorcycle Action & Party Y...
                Last edited by Mr Exiled; 08-28-2012, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X