Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Is there a 4-2-1 exhaust system or whats a good system that will fit on a 750 Kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a 4-2-1 exhaust system or whats a good system that will fit on a 750 Kat?

What exhaust would you guys recommend for a 1991 750 Kat ? I have a V&H on it but was looking at others. What do you guys run on yor bikes? Will gsxr exhausts fit? Please help! I am down until I get new exhaust

There are lots of used headers and mufflers on ebay for pre-98's ...have a look
    I'm gonna try a used muffler from a 2005 gsxr 1000 (titanium, triangular, SAES Suzuki Advanced Exhaust System) on my '98 750 Katana. I got that muffler for $60 and there are lots more of them. I'm gonna try to get it installed today!
    1998 Suzuki GSX750 Katana
    1980 Suzuki GS450ET
    1977 Honda XL125

Comment

Oh, ground clearance is a factor as the bike will power wheelie in 1st and 2nd as well as the hills I live near that if not careful you'll launch 3ft up and 10-12 ft out, really fun. The V&S 4-1 on it now, the collector is directly under the oil pan, less than 1/2 in from touching it. I really like the 4-2-1 design, V&S makes a kit retails for 460$ that's a 4-2-1, that's the only one I know of. What's better, a 4-1 system or a 4-2-1 system? If anyone runs a 4-2-1 system, please let me know your opinion. Any opinion is welcome. Thanks guys

That's cool, I'll do more looking on eBay, does anyone know what other cc bikes exhaust will bolt up? I understand some customizing might be in order for the pipe but TA 1000cc header will bolt on a pre 98 750? Or a 1991? Thanks for the reply man
      Last edited by bta2997; 07-30-2012, 10:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Not to mention the 2005 GSXR 1000 is water cooled and a Katana is oil cooled. The header spacing isn't even close to the same.

Comment

Your right about he spacing

I read about a guy putting the 4-2-1 on a 600 Kat I believe, and he liked it. And there's the 4-1 system from V&H with the black header, good luck with you build, all I can do is keep looking. Thanks for the reply

Comment

Here's what a water cooled GSXR 1000 exhaust looks like on a Katana BTW.

The guy that posted that got made fun of relentlessly, so I'd recommend you not post any pictures of it Survivorguy
            Just to be fair, he did say this fit too:

I think you're just planning to use the muffler, and not the whole exhaust system. In which case, you should have much better results.
            Last edited by arsenic; 07-30-2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              Here's what a water cooled GSXR 1000 exhaust looks like on a Katana BTW.

The guy that posted that got made fun of relentlessly, so I'd recommend you not post any pictures of it Survivorguy
              Just to be fair, he did say this fit too:

I think you're just planning to use the muffler, and not the whole exhaust system. In which case, you should have much better results.
              I'm gonna use just the muffler (2005 gixxer 1000) . It's different from that. It's titanium and triangular. $(KGrHqR,!jIE+dqh4-3QBQ!1Hm,Yeg~~60_57.jpg I'll get away from the computer and start openeing up boxes and have a look. I might even post pictures...laughs or not...
              1980 Suzuki GS450ET
              1977 Honda XL125

Comment

Wow, lol, not a tight fit is it

Got to give him props for trying, they still make a system I think I don't have any other choice, but it seems to be a good one, I think it's a newer version of what's on it. This is it
                http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch, it has good reviews and the system I have on it sounds and performs great, even with the leak and header tubes bent up. Let me know what you guys think, if I had put the race tech springs in the bike 1st thing, I doubt I'd be having this problem, spring rate is twice as stiff as stock springs, helped handling a ton. It handles like my old gsxr 600, very good and is stiff enough to keep it from bottoming out on wheelie or speed bump

Comment

Here's a picture of the 2005 GSXR 1000 muffler that I've bought for my 1998 Katana 750

It was designed for variable restriction and has a flapper and some cables. The cables as supplied to me wouldn't fit- so I took em off. There was a small bracket rivetted to one of the mounting tabs that wouldn't work out right so I took it off. The flapper is spring loaded in the open position.

The muffler is rated at 80 DBA. So it isn't too loud. It's a few pounds heavier than the two brothers carbon fibre to be sure but not bad.

Here's how it'll look installed on the bike. (minus the bailing wire).

From the rear it looks like

and it isn't connected yet

I have a centerstand to mount and the hardware is coming later today. The centerstand needs to be mounted before (permanently) hanging the exhaust because the exhaust is in the way of one of the centerstand bolts. The centerstand installation with springs can be difficult- so it's better for me to wait till it's done before working on the exhaust.
                  Last edited by Surviverguy; 07-30-2012, 01:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  1980 Suzuki GS450ET
                  1977 Honda XL125

Comment

will the exhaust for a 600 fit on a 750 kat?

V&H MAKES an exhaust system that's called SS2-R. There's two kinds, there's the one that I have and there's one that the header is 4-2-1 and a pipe with the slip on, but they show it for a kat 600 and a kat 1100, wonder if it will fit on my 91 750 Kat?

Comment

Sure will

Comment

I was told the V&H super sport system is best for power

I'm sure you guys know of motor cycle superstore, a guy there told me the straight threw design of the system was best for power. Another thing, the exhaust I found an have an ss2-r slip on, the full system was never offered for a 750, he told me the exhaust on my bike is for a 600 Kat, and it's cry possible. Anyone run the super sport system? If so, you like it, it sound and perform good? Anything would help me. Thanks guys, that's a crazy slip on man, I'll bet it's loud!!! Cool though

Comment

As far as I know, all full systems for the 600 and 750 are the same thing. I've never confirmed this to be the case, but I've never seen any evidence to say otherwise.

Comment

I got the centerstand installed today. I'm reversing the rear axle to get more clearance. The castleated nut and cotter pin will be on the left side of the bike instead of the right side. I'm doing a rear brake job now also- while I have the axle out and the wheel is loose. The rear pads were close to the wear line. Hopefully I'll get to finish the exhaust system tomorrow.
                            1980 Suzuki GS450ET
                            1977 Honda XL125

Comment

I spoke with a V&H rep

The rep told me that V&H never made the ss2-r for the 750 Kat. They fit, but the rep told me the sizes are different and talked me into buyin the super sport system, he recommended it over the ss2-r, I'd have loved to have gotten that D&D 4-2-1, is said to be one of loudest and best performing systems for the pre 98 kats. He told me the super sport hade the best header for the pre 98, and ori didn't like the muffler, I can put the ss2-r muffler I have on the new system. It should be good, he said if I hadnt jetted my carbs I'd need too, but I have and then some. I'll let you know how it turns out, I may put tires and brakes on it too, thanks for all the help. Oh, I found out some of the 600 Kat systems wont fit on the 750, more than I thought

Comment

Working...
                              X