X

Clutch Lever Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Lever Help

Just got finished putting the new clutch lever on, went to start the bike and nothing. Lights come on, horn works, but no turn over at all. I read that it could be the Clutch Safety switch, only thing is I can not figure out where it is. The previous owner did a number to the wiring on this bike and its a big mess. I found the Yellow/Green wires that lead into the Clutch. Is this the what I am looking for to bypass the clutch safety? I would honestly rather not cut anything and just figure out why the safety is not engaging. So any insite on how to do this I would really appreciate.
    Last edited by JEH_FCN; 07-11-2012, 10:17 PM.
    05 GSX 600F My Work In Progress!

Take the clutch lever off and in the spot were the part that goes into the lever housing there should be a little toggle looking thing. Pull it forward with a flat blade skrewdriver and try to hit the start button. I had a few beers so my discription is hard to understand, but if you look in there you will see what im talking about. I recall it having to be pushed forward or back before you put the lever on, but like i said it has been a few beers and its been a year since i had that part of my bike appart. Id go out and check how mine is put on, but i got rearended a few days back so my bike is no longer with me. Id wait for someone else to chime in. I think if you take your lever off and pull the little toggle thing forward and try to start her, it will make sence all of a sudden lol

Edit. Just looked at the pic of a cluch lever and im 99.9999% positive that that toggle thing has to be pushed forward (to front of bike and you just kind of fish the lever into the housing. Just look real good and it will make sence all of a sudden
    Last edited by gsx; 07-11-2012, 10:25 PM.

Comment

GSX! Thank you man!! Pulled the lever off and I happen to snap the plastic part of the switch off. Was able to pull it forward to get it to start right up! Bike saver. Thanks again.

Comment

Haha no problem man. Just glad that my buzzed rambling helped you out. Do you have anything left of the plastic part or are you gona have to get a new switch? Im not sure of you can just replace the switch or if you need to replace the whole thing. I cant see why you cant just throw a new switch in, but if you cant, keep a flatblade or a picker and some wrenches with you to start it till you get the new part in, and for gods sake dont stall in traffic lol

Comment

It broke a little piece off from the inside. A clear/white piece. Now since this happened, would bypassing it be another option other then buying a new safety switch?

Comment

Originally posted by JEH_FCN View Post
            It broke a little piece off from the inside. A clear/white piece. Now since this happened, would bypassing it be another option other then buying a new safety switch?

You can easily bypass the clutch switch at the bar and remove it entirely. If you trace the wires you will find where they connect to the harness. They are oposite of each other, so just pull the switch wires out, and plug the 2 harness wires together.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
            X