X

Locking up the bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking up the bike

I just had the State Police stop by my house and tell me there is a ring of motorcycle thief's in my area and I need to lock up my bikes. My question is any ideas short of drilling a hole in the foundation to run a chain through?
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
    Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
    R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
    1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
    RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
    3BBB turn signal mirrors,
    Black painted seat and rear trim,
    Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Don't use a standard chain, those only stop the honest people from stealing the bike. You should lock it up with a chain that can not be cut through with a pair of bolt cutters.

In the past, I poured a 2' x 2' concrete block with eye bolts cast into them. I ran a high strength chain through the eye bolt, through one of those Kryptonite caliper locks and then through the bike's frame, then secured back to itself with multiple high strength padlocks (I didn't live in a good area and someone already tried to steal my bike once).

Comment

I lock mine through the frame of my truck so they can not pick the bike up and put it into a truck.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WTOqOsMy6k&feature=related"]Suzuki GSX-R 750 being stolen from a Hotel in Auckland CBD - New Zealand - YouTube[/ame]
        Ride like it's your last ride
        sigpic

Comment

inside my garage with stearing lock at night
          I would be PO'd if it was stolen but thats why I have insurance
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

If you can, anchor a really good lock to something solid like a pole or something similar.

These are excellent locks

Here is one place that sells them, they have some good product videos of Abus locks
            Abus Locks - Motorcycle Security - Free Shipping, No Hassle Returns and the Lowest Prices - Guaranteed

This is what I have

Comment

At work we use Abloy locks to lock our trailers up while hauling freight in town. These also fit perfect in the holes of the brake rotor. https://securitysnobs.com/Abloy-Prot...l-Padlock.html

Your definately not going to pick the lock, and not going to cut it with bolt cutters. As far as a chain goes, your on your own for that. I park in the garage and at work its inside the company gate.
              "Don't mess with a nation, that needs medication"- Christopher Titus-

Comment

Only thing you can really do is make sure your insurance is paid up. If someone wants to steal a bike bad enough, they'll get it.

Comment

who the **** leaves a shoe behind?!
                  -Brandon

Comment

Can you park it inside your home for a while? I've done that on occasion. I once stayed in an unfamiliar town miles from home and ran the locking cable into the motel room through a window.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Apart from the idiots in the video using a stolen truck or registration plate...I can't imagine how they got away with it.

When I lived in an apartment, I had my first Kat stolen right off my front porch. So when I got my current Kat, I immediately began to park it on my back porch which was in a closed in courtyard. I also used 2 Kryptonite cables, one ran from the rear wheel of my wifes bike, through the front wheel of mine and then around the forks. The second cable ran through and around the rear wheel and swing arm of my Kat, and secured it to the iron fire escape. Wifes front wheel had a third Kryptonite cable, securing her front wheel to the steel support column for the porch upstairs.

Even then, I did catch a local thief on my back porch. He had attempted to kick my kitchen door in (I'd removed the old lock and wood door/trim, and replaced them with a metal door, boron carbide dead bolts and steel door trim anchored with Rhino lining in the screw holes) and when that didnt work, he tried to cut the cables on my bike with an 6 foot ice chipper I had in my basement stairwell. I happened to come home from work while he was in mid stupidity, and walked around back. Imagine the look on his mug when he turned around and saw a cop, with a .45 HK pointed at his dome. Anyway, he ended up having a lengthy history of such actions, and had been caught on camera two nights prior, stealing another bike from a local plumbing buisness parking lot. In his interview with the city police, he admitted that he had sold stolen motorcycles for as little as a hundred bucks, to feed his oxycontin habit.

If they see it, and want it...they will break thier own fingers to steal it. And...if they're good, they will get it. I suggest, as a first line of deterence, don't let 'em see it. They can't steal what they can't see.
                      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                      Semper Fi

Comment

+1

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
                        X