X

screwdriver on starter solenoid?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screwdriver on starter solenoid?

Can any experts give me some info on this I'm trying to test my solenoid? Its on a 2006 suzi kat 750
    i kinda read about it but want to know if its safe or true? Do i just turn key to on safety switch to on and touch solenoid terminals? is it suppose to turn on? and if it does its bad solenoid am i correct? any help thanx guys cheers!
    If I aint riding my kat im pulling magic trix out of my hat!
    «on the soccer field of course»

Why are you looking to test the solenoid? Do you have the factory manual? In it, it explains the various tests you can do with a 12V power supply to ensure the solenoid is functioning properly. The solenoid is also fused - check that before suspecting the solenoid.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Jumping a solenoid with a screwdriver will make the starter turn over even if it's good. More of a method to get you home than test it.

Comment

ok this is what happened i stopped and filled up on gas then went to turn it on and nothing i tried so much battery was going dead the kill switch was set to on i couldnt even push start it. but b4 this happened for about two months or so when i would try to turn it on sometimes it would kick on others it would make a clicking noise i figured it was the starter giving out! i'm new to the bike scene but doing some research i read about a easy way to diagnose if it was a starter or kill switch or solenoid was to use a screwdriver but it didn't say specifcly how? but it did say if it turns on while using the screwdriver then that meant it wasnt the starter but if it didnt turn on then it was probly either kill switch or solenoid...... so idk bros but ya 30 amp fuses were good

or starter
        Last edited by KatanaStud; 07-10-2012, 04:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Faulty grounds that prevent the power circuit from being fully completed will cause these issues. So will corroded connections/triggers like the starter button.

And since this was asked in PMs as well, I'm gonna post my responses for that also incase others might come across this post....

When asked about testing the relay with a screwdriver;

Test it? Not sure on that.

By pass it with a screw driver sure. Or any thing to just jump power from the top 2 posts.

Basically... touch something metal between the 2 larger posts and that will bypass the relay. Should hear the starter turn at that point.

If the starter does turn, check the switch, and power in for the realy.

If the starter does not turn, it's probably not the relay.

And then follow up with clarification of how/checking the relay and workings ...

Well, with any relay you have 2 circuits.

By passing the relay with the 2 large posts with the screw driver is to tell you if something is not triggering the relay.

If you have verified that, then it's possible you either have a relay issue (it's bad) or you have a wiring issue with the power to the relay (like a faulty starter switch).

The relay is straight up simple... the 2 large posts are the main power for the starter.

The 2 small posts are the relay trigger. Add power in/out to the small posts should trigger the larger power circuit. If your not getting power or ground for those, then the relay won't work and replacing the relay won't resolve the problem.

This is why I mentioned checking power to the relay trigger if the starter turns with jumping the larger posts.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

gotcha well thanx kreylyn!!!!!!! i will try it tmw need to charge battery!

Comment

Working...
            X