X

cleaning my gas tank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning my gas tank

i figured i would try cleaning my gas tank with vinegar for now until the kreem gets here sometime this week. i currently have the tank upside down on the fuel cap filled with vinegar but i tryed taping off the wholes on the bottom with duct tape but it wont hold. would it be safe to put the petcock and fuel level unit back in so i can flip the tank over so the vinegar can clean the bottom part of the tank also. or would there be anothe way to cover up those holes ?

Originally posted by illwillone View Post
    i figured i would try cleaning my gas tank with vinegar for now until the kreem gets here sometime this week. i currently have the tank upside down on the fuel cap filled with vinegar but i tryed taping off the wholes on the bottom with duct tape but it wont hold. would it be safe to put the petcock and fuel level unit back in so i can flip the tank over so the vinegar can clean the bottom part of the tank also. or would there be anothe way to cover up those holes ?

Paper/masking tape, couple of layers... won't turn loose when wet.

and your going with Kreem coating for the tank?...

Wish you luck with it.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Send the Kreem back, get POR-15 if available.

Comment

+1 ^

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

maybe someone can cleart this up for me , after i dumped out the full tank of gas i had and cleaned the tank with vinegar , by the way the vinegar did a pretty good job. i just noticed that when looking in the tank it looks like the the vent line or tube is kinked or bent . dont know if it was like that before or not .maybe someone can look in their gas tank & let me know .

Comment

The vent tube does have some bends in it... not sure how it would get kinked though.

Vinegar probably does an okay job, but I would still do the de-scaling/acid wash that comes with the POR kit.

Also, another +1 for dumping the Kreem and getting a POR-15 kit.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

maybe someone can cleart this up for me , after i dumped out the full tank of gas i had and cleaned the tank with vinegar , by the way the vinegar did a pretty good job. i just noticed that when looking in the tank it looks like the the vent line or tube is kinked or bent . dont know if it was like that before or not .maybe someone can look in their gas tank & let me know .

Plug off the bottom of that line (outside bottom of tank) and then fill it with water, make sure it is not leaking. A small amount of pressure would be a good idea.

If that line is leaking, you gots a serious issue.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok so with the tank filled with vinegar i have no leaks . of course the petcock & the fuel level unit are not in the tank. but when the tank was full with fuel and installed on the bike there was fuel coming out from the vent on the bottom of the tank. could the petcock , or maybe something to do with the carbs could be causing the leak from the vent ?

Comment

ok so with the tank filled with vinegar i have no leaks . of course the petcock & the fuel level unit are not in the tank. but when the tank was full with fuel and installed on the bike there was fuel coming out from the vent on the bottom of the tank. could the petcock , or maybe something to do with the carbs could be causing the leak from the vent ?

I don't think your understanding what that tube inside is for.

On the top of your tank, at the fill hole... you will see there is a small hole to the side, and the fill hole (the large one) has a raised lip.

To prevent water from building up around the fill hole, that small hole is a drain. The drain goes through the tank and out the bottom. From there a line is connected so any water being drained should flow out the bottom of the bike instead of onto the engine.

The metal line through the tank is sealed (or should be) from any other aspect of the tank.

Problems... if the line is not sealed, not only can gas get out and drain on you... but the water it's supposed to drain can also go into the gas tank and mix with your fuel. This would cause alot of inside rust issues, and running issues.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

so i put white vinegar in my tank and this what came out

Comment

I use a pressure washer then air blow dry it on a hot day with a air mover - por-15 if needed

Comment

how long should the vinegar stay in the tank??

thanks alot

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                        Send the Kreem back, get POR-15 if available.
                        how long should i leave the vinegar in the gas tank if i use the vinegar method of cleaning it??

thanks alot.
                        Last edited by danabrenn; 07-04-2012, 12:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

guys, im a little new to this but i just realized that there was rust in my tank and that its an issue. I do have a fuel filter before my gas line goes into the carbs....Does that mean im ok?

I plan on fixing the issue....But I am trying to figure out the root of my problem (half to full throttle = sputter) and I want to rule out stuff....
                          Manny

Comment

Originally posted by BaltimoreHokie View Post
                            guys, im a little new to this but i just realized that there was rust in my tank and that its an issue. I do have a fuel filter before my gas line goes into the carbs....Does that mean im ok?

I plan on fixing the issue....But I am trying to figure out the root of my problem (half to full throttle = sputter) and I want to rule out stuff....
                            fuel filters will not stop rust particles from getting into your carbs. If you have rust in the tank, you have rust in the carbs now.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

While I see that others prefer the POR-15 kit, I've had excellent success with the Kreem ABC kit. Got it from Motorcycle Maxx a few weeks ago and did the washing/flush/seal, and came out perfect.

Best way to plug the petcock area? Place 2(scrap) bolts in their respective locations with some nylon washers. Then get some plastic or nylon (I used a piece of a tupperware lid) and a toggle bolt w/ a fender washer. plugged up the whole air-tight, and I was able to do the complete procedure pain-free. However, I did have to remove the toggle bolt to drain the phosphoric acid and the pre-sealant wash.

TIP: please dispose of the etching acid safely, but don't get rid of ALL of it. I have some leftover in a folgers plastic tub, and it works GREAT for getting rust off of pesky bolts, and cleans up your small misc. hardware nicely! Even a couple rusty tools I have lying round my garage, too!
                              Again though,...please be safe when handling it.
                              1991 Kat 600 Fightered
                              2001 SV650 Naked
                              2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Comment

Working...
                              X