X

No Neutral light?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Neutral light?

I just traded a bike for a 1988 Katana 600, and was looking through to make sure it was all sound. I noticed that the neutral light didn't turn on, so using my manual for the bike I got to the panel where the bulb sits and there is no bulb or wire coming from the neutral spot. The plug that all the indicator light wires go into has an open blue spot for the neutral light too but no wire. Also the is a blue wire down under the seat that is disconnected with no other blue connectors around it.
    Is there a way I can get the wire and a bulb? Or do I have to buy the whole indicator panel or something like that?
    The manual doesn't have anything about the indicator lights in it so I'm a bit lost.
    -Ryan

pics will help

Comment

Pics would help actually... just to make sure as there were differences with the 88s vs other bikes, and every time I think... "naw, it will be the same" I get bitten.

So, with pics... I can compare for you between what you have and the other pre kats and let you know if I have one or how to find one for your bike.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The picture next to the battery is the unconnected wire under the seat. I read up on the wiring diagram and it says the neutral light wire is blue so I though that might have something to do with it.
        I circled the plug on the speedo cluster picture that doesn't have a blue wire going from the plug to the neutral bulb spot. It doesn't have a bulb or a place to put the bulb either.
        If you still need me to take it apart for pics of it then I will have to do it tomorrow morning.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan124235 View Post
          The picture next to the battery is the unconnected wire under the seat. I read up on the wiring diagram and it says the neutral light wire is blue so I though that might have something to do with it.
          I circled the plug on the speedo cluster picture that doesn't have a blue wire going from the plug to the neutral bulb spot. It doesn't have a bulb or a place to put the bulb either.
          If you still need me to take it apart for pics of it then I will have to do it tomorrow morning.

yep, looks like the neutral connector to me. Won't work unpluged.

If I remember right, check the bundle of connectors with the largeish soft plastic covering over it on the right side just near the battery for the other end that should plug into. Will be pretty obvious, as it's also just a single wire and matching female connector.

Start there... and you may find that the wire isn't blue at the guages, but will show up.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Alrighty, took the section out and took a pic. No wires from or too the plug, and no bulb in the neutral spot.
            I took pictures of a few unattached wires I found also. I'm thinking I might just go without the neutral light. Seems like it is going to be a pain in the butt.
            I tried looking for the plug for the one I showed you but found nothing. And there is no blue wire up by the indicators so I don't think that even runs up there.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ryan, from the third pic, it just looks like you are missing a bulb.... are there no wires on the back of that socket...???
              "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

That is what I though when I first saw it, but you're correct. There are no wires coming out the back of that socket.
                Can just one light set up be bought? Or do you have to buy the whole setup?
                Last edited by Ryan124235; 05-05-2012, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Alright. Just got looking at the lights and there is infact a spot on the indicators that is open. Between the right blinker and neutral is a open spot so I am thinking the neutral light bulb is just blown. Neutral doesn't line up with the open spot either. So I'm going to tear it all down again and check the wires with the tester to make sure it's getting power and check the bulb itself.

Comment

Light turns on when I ground it out myself. So neutral switch isn't grounding it out.
                    The manual states that there is an assembly under the sprocket cover. Can I clean the contact myself or is it something you need to buy a new one for?
                    Last edited by Ryan124235; 05-05-2012, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan124235 View Post
                      Light turns on when I ground it out myself. So neutral switch isn't grounding it out.
                      The manual states that there is an assembly under the sprocket cover. Can I clean the contact myself or is it something you need to buy a new one for?

It's pretty simple to remove and check. Just need to have someone hold the bike leaning to the right so oil doesn't pour out. Or drain the oil.

Take off the sprocket cover, it's a round puck with 2 ears for the phillips head type screws that hold it on. Follow the wire.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Found it! A wire has been broken off at the neutral assembly underneath the crankcase cover. I will have to buy a new one and then it should work fine Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

The part isn't called what you think it is, so here is a fiche and you need part number 41. "Terminal Base A" and number 42-1 o-ring

Comment

If your already buying that part... spend the couple extra and get the multi sensor puck that works with the gear position indicators...

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

What is the multi sensor puck called Kreylyn? I can only find the neutral ones for the bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X