X

Chain problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain problem

Hey guys, today I was having trouble adjusting my chain, the bike is new to me, and it apears the chain is worn extreamly unevenly.

it is very tight in one spot and very loose in another.

So im thinking about getting a new chain.

Is it possible my chain is the problem? every revolution of the chain is when the tention tightens then loosens, one revolution of the sprockets ( I tested front then back) did not seem to give a constant problem.

When I looked into chains breilf, there are normal clip chains ( what I am used to in my offroad experiance)

and then rivited? ( I think that's what I have now, because i freaked when the chain didnt have a masterlink, and it was so hard to get off, there were holes in the middle of the master link and I think it might have been a "rivited" link?

thanks a ton guys!

That's a riveted master link alright and that's the way to go. If you've got stiff spots and loose spots in your chain then yes, it's time for a new one. Take a look at both sprockets to see if it's time to replace them, too. Safest bet is to replace everything as a set.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

+1 I would replace as a set..
      "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Is there a special tool for riveting the link? the conecpt is simple, but it still should be done right.

Ill just buy a chain with a normal master link, and also order a rivited master link? is that how its normally done? because im not finding chains that come with them.

thanks a ton guys!

Comment

My new chain came with a rivet type ML. I picked up a rivet tool from Harbor Freight and it did the job just fine. Just remember to grease the threads up before using it.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Wait? does it just use a normal pop rivet gun? lol im confused?

or does harbor freight sell the CHAIN rivet gun.

I have tons of normal rivet guns as well as 10's of thousands of rivets.

thanks again, sorry for the stupid questions

Comment

Not at all. Here's the rivet tool I bought:

Comes with two tips. One to push the old rivet out and one to push the new rivet in. You flip the pin to mushroom the head.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

1. always replace chain and sprockets at the same time for best longevity and safety.

2. get an O-ring chain, preferably a reputable brand, EK, DID, etc.. not a d2moto no namer, or a non o-ring chain off ebay, or some other cost cutting garbage. A broken or thrown chain could cost you your life.

3. read the Sticky thread on how to replace your chain, it shows you the proper tools...and no, its not a pop rivet tool, its a specially designed press. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=108832

you need to get the service manual (check the katana wiki for links) and really read the stickies in the mechanics 101 and the howto and FAQs section.

See My Garage for mods...
                T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Meh

Who needs to read?!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Alright, I figured it wasn't a pop rivet, looked like on mine that someone just mushroomed the head with a punch.

Obviously they used that tool you linked.

Ive seen thrown chains destroy engine cases, and I personally have had my chain my my ktm exc 250 go from adjusted at the start of the hair scramble to the point it was actually slipping off on hard corners haha, kept running it to finish, ended up slipping off, catching and ripping my clutch slave cylinder off DOH*

that was a new chain, cheap brand one, the engine was able to stretch the chain from good to junk in a matter of an hour or so.

so im not a big junk chain buyer haha, but I would probably buy the chain alone seeings my sprockets look pretty dang good, should i say screw it and just replace them? or could i get away with it? 18 year old in school budget in mind.

thanks again guys! hope I didn't aggravate anyone because I probably could have used the search function and got a lot of this information, but its fun talking to you guys! I appreciate it!!

Comment

meh, screw the search. I don't mind answering questions. Chatbox is good for this, too but now that's a premium thing so not for everyone.

I'm a big fan of replacing everything all at once, especially the first time. No telling what sort of sins the PO committed. After that, my experience has been that you replace the sprockets every other time you replace a chain. Your budget, your decision. Just remember that the front sprocket is the decider. It'll wear faster than the rear.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by csdwarf View Post

so im not a big junk chain buyer haha, but I would probably buy the chain alone seeings my sprockets look pretty dang good, should i say screw it and just replace them? or could i get away with it? 18 year old in school budget in mind.
                        as I said, I always replace chain and sprockets at the same time for best longevity and safety....especially if you dont know how its been maintained.

in THIS particular case, you'll probably have extended wear on the front sprocket due to the chain binding.

either way, its always best to replace them all at the same time.

See My Garage for mods...
                        T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                        Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Alright, screw it haha.

Im just going to get new sprockets and chain.

I still want to try and get a good deal, any advice? what do you guys normal buy sprockets and chains in sets? or kit?

or separate? any links or recommendations would be AWESOME!

Denniskirk has one sprocket/chain kit for my bike, it was like 220$ though...seemed a bit steep.

thanks again guys!

What is this chat box? you buy premium user? and you get to insta talk? sounds awesome. going to look into it!

Comment

The budget can definitely put a crimp in your style. If you're absolutely sure the sprockets are fine you CAN get away with replacing just the chain. It's not ideal but it'll work. For prices, check out Chapparel and Motorcycle Superstore. Between them and Dennis Kirk it's hard to go wrong.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I wont say Im sure they are not fine, but what im saying is that if my chain didn't have this random problem, everything looks decent, teeth are still fat and straight, all rollers on chain look good ect.

What made me look into it was a pusling noise at high speed, I loosed my chain a bit and tested today, its hard to tell if its the motor pulsing ( i think it might be lean, k&n filter and v&h 4-1) or the chain changing tention.

anyway thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X