X

upshifting..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upshifting..

Just curious.. I was wondering around about what Rpm range is good to shift at ? My mechanic told me if i gears at too low of an rpm I can flood the motor. So I am just wondering where do i need to shift or shall i say where should I shift .. thanks for the help guys and girls of Katriders.

Christopher aka Major Voltron
    "Oh I will tag you back !!"

I think this comes down to personal choice and driving style. Normal driving I tend to shift between 4-6k cause my D&D gets a little loud so I keep the rpms down for sound. Then there's the occasional redline shifts.

Comment

You can shift any time you want really.

Hell on my shadow the manual says to shift at 7,13,20, and in overdrive by 35mph.

When I get on the freeway 38mph first gear, 62mph second gear, 80 third and double shift to 5th to drop RPM lol.
      '88 GSX1100F, '89 GSX1100F No engine atm, '92 GSX1100F

Comment

I take it you've never driven anything with a manual transmission before?

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
        mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

First bike? Old rider that learned a new lesson?
        Post your questions, tips and experiences here so we can all learn from them!
        Last edited by scottynoface; 04-13-2012, 02:32 PM.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Honestly scotty , no I haven't ...my mechanic told me I would flood it if I shifted below 5k so that's what I have been doing .... But if that's not true then I need to back off alittle ...

Comment

Originally posted by Major Voltron View Post
            Honestly scotty , no I haven't ...my mechanic told me I would flood it if I shifted below 5k so that's what I have been doing .... But if that's not true then I need to back off alittle ...
            I think you need to find a new mechanic first.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Your "mechanic" is a fool. Shifting too soon can result in the engine "lugging" but not flooding. By lugging, I mean that the rpms are too low for the engine to produce much in the way of power. When you're asking the engine to accelerate the bike at too low of an rpm you cause a lot of strain on the internals. Anything below about 1,000 rpms on a Kat and you're there.

The big disconnect for anyone used to driving a car is that the car's engine is comfortable at much lower rpms than a bike and would come apart if you tried to run the rpms up as high as a bike's engine is comfortable with.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Ahhhh ok .......so I can shift at lower rpms then ... Just not to low ...

Comment

Exactly. Just pay attention to what the bike's telling you. If it has trouble accelerating after a shift then that's too low. Drop a gear and you're good. You're not going to immediately kill the bike and you won't hurt it at all if you don't make a habit of it.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    I think you need to find a new mechanic first.
                    +1

Comment

Hell i have been running 50 mph in 6th gear lately... Trying to see what is the maximum mpg the bike can get I shift at about 4-5k... remember the bike wont even idle properly below 1k (mine is set to idle at about 1.3k)

Comment

Originally posted by Major Voltron View Post
                        ? My mechanic told me if i gears at too low of an rpm I can flood the motor.
                        Christopher aka Major Voltron
                        Wow....now there's a first. Once you get comfy with your bike, it'll all be by ear. Bikes like to rev up and Kats seem to like the 4-5k range under "normal" circumstances...... if you're "getting on it"..... 7-10k is quite normal. Listen to your bike. I'm rarely out of second around town.
                        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Working...
                        X