Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

1997 Katana 600 Oil Filter trapped behind headers...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 Katana 600 Oil Filter trapped behind headers...

I just bought a 1997 Katana 600. I tried changing the oil and i cant seem to get the Oil filter from out behind the headers. I got the filter unscrewed and off the engine but its still trapped behind the headers... IS there some magic trick to making this work? It seems like there is no way to get this filter out without removing the headers...

Possible that there isn't a way but usually it just takes a bunch of wiggling. Absolute worst case is you may have to loosen things up a bit to make enough room to squeeze that filter out of there. What do you have for an exhaust? (I can tell from your photo that you've got a 4-1 header which isn't stock. '97 600s came with a dual exhaust setup.)
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I have a yoshimura exhaust. I had no idea my headers were aftermarket. I just bought the bike so all i thought it was mostly stock except for the yoshi. What would i have to loosen? the headers?

Comment

stock was 2 header pipes into 1 with a muffler
        unfortunately some headers can cause greif
        You may have to loosen the header at the motor

can you go upward and get out between the pipes ?

If I remember right the stock suzuki filter is bigger in diameter than what napa lists for it using a direct crossreference from the suzuki part #

a smaller diameter aftermarket filter may help you in the future
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I was able to get the filter out... i had to loosen the headers and also loosen the tail pipe and push it down to get the headers to move enough to get the filter out. I now have a brand new filter and fresh oil in my bike.

Comment

Welcome to dealing with what someone else thought was a good idea!

No telling what the header was meant for but you've got it now and it's better to just deal with it than try to replace the exhaust. Might want to keep a set of manifold gaskets on hand to prevent downtime if you get an exhaust leak after an oil change. They're not that expensive and they don't take much space in the drawer.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I know this is a dumb question but I'm a super noob... whats a manifold gasket? Could you post a link?

Comment

its simply a gasket that can withstand high temps that goes between the header and the engine to fill any possible voids where the header meets the engine to prevent any annoying exhaust leaks.
                -Brandon

Comment

Nothing like small jobs turing into big deals. Good luck
                  2004 Honda ST1300
                  1999 Katana 750 (sold)

Comment

The gaskets look like fat washers made out of crumbled up aluminum foil. They squash down a bit to form to the header pipes and the head.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Endergotgame View Post
                      I know this is a dumb question but I'm a super noob... whats a manifold gasket? Could you post a link?
                      Ask and you shall receive.

Part number 1 (14181-18C00).

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
                      X