X

04 katana 600 dies when hot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 04 katana 600 dies when hot

ok i have a 2004 katana 600 i have had it for a month i had a wreck 3 weeks ago due to back brake locking up well i replaced the plugs cleaned the carbs and changed the oil in it and ever since thewreck i did all this but now when i ride it for about 1 mile or 2 maybe itll bogg down and then die and wont start back up while riding the engine oil light is on it is full , and if i let it sit for 2 days and unhook the battery itll start back up and run for 4 days whats the problem here

please help

How bad was the wreck? And what part of the bike was laid down?

Comment

Are you charging the battery when you have it disconnected? Might be an electrical short somewhere. Is the oil light on when it's running fine? Might be a bad sensor. I'm not sure if there is anything built in where that would prevent the engine from running though. Maybe part of the harness was damaged.

Comment

katana

it was laid down on the right side and yes the oil light is on when its running fine and yes i am charging the battery when its disconnected

Comment

The oil sending unit is inside the timing cover, on the right hand side. Did that get scratched up or dented? If so, it might have damaged that sending unit. That could explain the oil light. If it runs fine for 4 or 5 days, and then dies, but works again after charging the battery, then I would think you have either a nearly dead battery, bad alternator, or a short from something in the wiring harness. Maybe have the battery checked, and check the voltage coming out of the alternator?

Comment

well i know the battery is bad its 5 yrs old and barely holds a charge but like right now i can go start it up and itll run good for about ten minutes but when it gets warm itll shutdown and ill have to let it sit for 3 or 4 hrs and then itll start back up other wise itll just turn over and yes the right engine cover was damaged ive got to get a new one i was told that its possibly not holding oil pressure and the sending unit isnt reading properly
            could that possibly be the reason it shuts off when it gets good and warmed up

and i had it all checked with a good battery and the charging system is still good its all brand new
            Last edited by katanarider87; 02-21-2012, 08:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
            X