X

katana wont go over 35mph

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• katana wont go over 35mph

i got this ride about this time last year. first the gas tank was rusted out got a new one, chain was rusted got a new one, the crank case cover was busted inside the the motor was clean got a new crank case cover. i cleaned the carbs. bike fired up not smoothly but it started. then i found a guy that had 25 years working on sport bikes. i took the bike to him he had it for like 4 or 5 months he cleaned the carbs 2 times and he said he couldn't figure it out "i just don't know why but it gets to 35mph and falls on it face" his words if anyone has any ideas please help me out thanks in advance

[email protected]

first off, what year, size and all that.
    sigpic

Comment

It's '59 Katana 900 with T-tops.

Comment

with megaphone muffs and a holley 800 double pumper
        sigpic

Comment

I think your mechanic friend doesn't know how to clean and adjust carbs or verify the fuel system is functioning, because that's your problem.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            I think your mechanic friend doesn't know how to clean and adjust carbs or verify the fuel system is functioning, because that's your problem.
            We all know that, but picking on his lack of information is more fun.

Comment

WTF????...5 months and he can't figure it out? Seriously look elseward.
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Let's be fair. It only took 5 months because the mechanic was training for his event in the Special Olympics.

Comment

100 meter kick start
                  sigpic

Comment

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

was the mechanic an MMI grad?
                      sigpic

Comment

After 25 years, you figure even an MMI grad would learn something.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                          Let's be fair. It only took 5 months because the mechanic was training for his event in the Special Olympics.
                          FEKK...... this soda that just came shooting out of my nose better not frig up my laptop's keyboard.
                          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                          ------------------------------------------
                          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

"IF" the carbs are cleaned and adjusted right, then look towards either blocked fuel flow (petcock, lines, etc) OR gas cap vent is plugged and not allowing the fuel to be drawn out of the tank (like holding your finger over a straw full of liquid...) I am leading towards the vent The fuel flow is just enough to get you up to 35 in either case, but then you wind up starving the engine of fuel , as it can't draw enough fuel and would "fall flat on its face"...

Best of luck with your issue,

Will R.
                            Will R. Everett,WA

"I am not in a hurry to die....just to live before I die" ---Me

Comment

Originally posted by willburrrr2003 View Post
                              "IF" the carbs are cleaned and adjusted right
                              They're not

Comment

Working...
                              X