X

Ebay adventures!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay adventures!

So, I've got an 06 600 Kat. I haven't really been looking to upgrade engines in this thing cause I bought it brand new in 08 with 3 miles on it, and it now almost has 13,000, and running great! But, I found on the great and fabled ebay a listing for an unknown condition 750 katana motor for $50.00. It had an oil cooler, and the wiring harness, and who knew what else. This came from a used bike dealership that was wanting to get rid of stuff, not verify things and sell stuff for the actual value. I figured for $50, who cares? It was mostly local to me, so consider it that price, plus a tank of gas.

Perhaps I should've read up on things first. Maybe it doesn't matter. I got there, and it was, in fact, not a 750 motor. It was a 600 motor. It's an 04 600 motor to be precise. It's missing the timing cover, and the clutch discs. It's got the intake boots, but no carbs. The alternator, the starter, the wiring harness, the cradle with kickstand, and a broken sprocket cover, but with the speed sensor. I bought it even though it was a 600.

Parts to sell, a spare motor, spare parts, a head to try porting and polishing just to say I did, ... I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet.

I do know already that the inside of this motor is spotless. Who knows.

Unfortunately, now since I've been thinking about it, I kind of want to throw a bigger motor in mine. I'm probably better off selling parts and saving money, and just getting a second bike. Either way, I'm not offended at what happened, cause it wasn't remotely guaranteed.

Be sure to rate the moron seller on ebay, helps get them out of the system.
    "Don't steal, the government hates competition."
    "The greatest threat to religion is a man thinking for himself."
    "You could think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to stop thinking."

Comment

For $50 you'd kinda have to expect that the engine had problems. The shipping had to be a killer, though. Did you contact the seller about the fact it wasn't as advertised? Possible you can recover some of what you paid.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Would it be possible to put 750 jugs and pistons in a 600 case? If I had an extra motor to toy with that would be my thought, or what would be the largest you could go.

Comment

You'd want to swap out the transmissions, too. I'd be nervous about hacking into a running '06 engine until I had a running spare to install.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

No shipping, just a tank of gas. It came from a bike that was laid down. Shifter is broken off the sprocket cover. I've thought about the 750 pistons and jugs. The engine cases are the same. Most of the transmission is, but the shaft for the chain going between crank and transmission are different, as is the crankshaft. It's almost tempting to try something there, but I think if I just keep my eye out, I might find a decent 750 for as cheap as I could find the needed parts. For at least a bit, I'm going to use it as a test subject. Things like doing a leak-down test and stuff like that.

Comment

Parts is parts. Now you've got a chance to play without risking much and you can sell off enough parts on ebay to recover your costs pretty easy.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

You have to machine the cases to fit the 750 on them.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

No one makes kits for the 600 motors, and I'm pretty sure they are sleeved...
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by PAIN View Post
                    Would it be possible to put 750 jugs and pistons in a 600 case? If I had an extra motor to toy with that would be my thought, or what would be the largest you could go.
                    You have to bore the upper crank case to do that. The 600 OD is smaller than the 750 ID. You can't over bore a 600, no one makes bigger pistons. A 750 you can go 3mm larger to 813 or so. But 98-06 cylinder are nikasil coated. It's not cost effective to over bore them. And 89-97 Katana 750's are short stroke, 88-97 600's are long stroke, 98-06 600's are a long stroke, 98-07 750's are a long stroke. All stuff you need to factor in. Unlike some people that just spout random information that they've heard. I've actually done this.

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    You'd want to swap out the transmissions, too. I'd be nervous about hacking into a running '06 engine until I had a running spare to install.
                    No you wouldn't, the transmission is the same thing. The cylinder head on the other hand, that needs to go 750.

Originally posted by steves View Post
                    No one makes kits for the 600 motors, and I'm pretty sure they are sleeved...
                    True no one makes kits for a 600, and no they are NOT sleeved.
                    Last edited by arsenic; 02-06-2012, 12:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I thought Keith said all the 98+ motors were sleeved
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                        I thought Keith said all the 98+ motors were sleeved
                        If he did, he was incorrect, cause they're not. I thought the same thing. Because CP always said the 600 cylinder block was a sleeved 750 block. Than I actually did the thing yous guys are talking about. And even if 98+ block were the same, which they're not. They are Nikasil plated. Do you have any idea how expensive that is to over bore?
                        Last edited by arsenic; 02-06-2012, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                          Do you have any idea how expensive that is to over bore?
                          Lol I do...
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                          X