X

Custom 1320 Katana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 1320 Katana?

Hey guys. I've been oggling sport bikes for a while now and am ready to get one......or two. I realize that these are different from cars and very dangerous. I plan to buy a learning bike like a 250 or a 500, (I have a line on a 500) but I came across this advanced bike and figured since it seems like a good deal, I can buy now and ride when ready. Since I have some cash now, I figure I can buy a starter bike and an advanced bike at the same time while I have the cash. Anyway, I was hoping you guys could shed some light on a particular add on craigslist. Owner claims it to be a "custom 1320" Advice appreciated, thanks. http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/2832558515.html

A Katana is not a "sport bike". Any modern 600 will blow that "custom 1320" out of the water. If you get that, when you are confident in your riding abilities, which is still a few years away. You're gonna be really disappointed in that bike.

Comment

Its def not a 1320 unless he put something else in it. Most likely its a 600 or a 750

Comment

It could be a 1320. If he put a GSXR 1127 in it, got new cylinder sleeves and pistons. You can only bore an 1127 to 1216 with the stock cylinder sleeves. Beyond that, you need after market cylinder sleeves. 1320cc's is NOT an engine you can street. That is for the drag strip ONLY. It'll get WAY too hot sitting in traffic and you'll spin a crank bearing. Beyond that, it's an old tuna that somebody hacked. You'd have to pay me $1500 to take it. To answer your question, that bike is a piece of ****. Don't even waste your time thinking about it.
        Last edited by arsenic; 02-03-2012, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Run, don't walk, away from that. It's a stock 600 at best, an old 600 body wrapped around a whole bunch of WTF at worst.
          Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Run run run...
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I think he is referring to a 1/4 mile in that 1320 the seller mentions. While the Kat is fairly quick down the ol' 1320 (11.5 secs or so, compared to cars), as the others have stated - it is not a sport bike. It IS a competent, capable sport tourer, able to eat miles comfortably all day long, as opposed to most pure super sport bikes.
              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

If you do end up with that cluster**** of a motorcycle. Before you ask, a 150 tire is the widest tire you can mount on a 3.5" rim.

Comment

usually, I question advice on car forums as that's familiar territory for me. not here. Advice taken on the 1320. I have aa cousin that would be my primary "teacher" He's hard on his luck and I want to get him a good sport bike, at least 1000 cc for his birthday this March. And I still need to find a good 500. I am very experienced with cars, but not bikes. What should I look for and how do I tell if a bike is in good condition and fairly priced? i can look under a hood with a car, but where do I look on a bike?

Comment

A good 1k cc sportbike?

Hope you have 5k sitting around.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      A good 1k cc sportbike?

Hope you have 5k sitting around.
                      At least.

Comment

Working...
                      X