X

1995 kat 600 engine swap with a 2001 bandit 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 kat 600 engine swap with a 2001 bandit 600

I have a 1995 Katana 600. It runs, but the clutch needs to be replaced. I also have a 2001 bandit 600 engine complete, with the wiring harness. I was just going to swap the clutchs, but, after reading other posts I have gathered that the bandit engine should fit, and it is allways a good idea to go with a newer engine whenever possible. But I may want to go with a different sprocket set, and a new chain. Is there anything else I need to consider, or would it even be recommended to do this swap? And I got a little confused on the wiring issues? Do I keep my wiring harness on the 95 kat? Or do I need to change that to match the 01 bandit engine? If anyone would help me to get going in the rite direction, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm new to the site, and this is my first real bike. I had a Chinese bike as my trainer.

Originally posted by kingkat95 View Post
    I have a 1995 Katana 600. It runs, but the clutch needs to be replaced. I also have a 2001 bandit 600 engine complete, with the wiring harness. I was just going to swap the clutchs, but, after reading other posts I have gathered that the bandit engine should fit, and it is allways a good idea to go with a newer engine whenever possible. But I may want to go with a different sprocket set, and a new chain. Is there anything else I need to consider, or would it even be recommended to do this swap? And I got a little confused on the wiring issues? Do I keep my wiring harness on the 95 kat? Or do I need to change that to match the 01 bandit engine? If anyone would help me to get going in the rite direction, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm new to the site, and this is my first real bike. I had a Chinese bike as my trainer.

Newer is definately not always better. I would suggest checking the performance aspects of the engines to determine which is actually going to fit your needs better.

Unless you plan on doing alot of switching around on the other components like the bar pods, front end electrical, etc... it's generally better to use the wiring for the bike frame your putting the engine into for a simple swap.

If you just need to replace the clutch plates, your better off doing that. If your actually meaning that the transmission gears are fubared, then yes... replace the engine with the bandit motor.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The motor is a direct swap. You'll also need to change over the intake boots from the kat motor to the bandit motor.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

So I should use the Carb assembly currently on the origional Katana engine, Instead of the ones on the newer bandit engine?

Comment

Use the kat carbs, and intake boots from the kat motor.

The bandit uses different diameter carbs, and they are actually KEI not Mikuni, so the choke and throttle cables won't be quick to swap over.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

OK that is good news really. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
            X