X

clutch issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch issues

When I get on the throttle hard I'm getting quite a bit of slipping from the clutch. If I let off and slowly gas it then it will engage fine and pulls strong.

A little back story which I think may be my problem but I would like to hear from others for some confirmation. Last month on the 11th I went on a charity toy run. The day before I decided to change the oil cause it was gonna be a hot very slow ride and it needed changed. Late at night I was changing the oil but I bought 10-30 full synthetic mobil1 cause it was cheap and I think it may be my problem. The previous oil was reg 10-40 and it never slipped at all.

So I'm thinking I should just go back to 10-40 and hopefully it resolves itself. Could I use something heavier like maybe 20-50 or is that not advisable?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BTW it's a 99 750.

was it the motorcycle mobil? If not there's your problem, get the right oil before the clutch is gone
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mcssls View Post
      was it the motorcycle mobil? If not there's your problem, get the right oil before the clutch is gone
      No it wasn't.

I think I'll run some 10-40 for about 100 miles or so and then swap it out again. The good thing is that I've only ridden it a couple times in the last month.

What are thoughts on going to something heavier like 20-50?

Thanks

Comment

don't, it's not better lubing and can cause damage from not flowing as well. Stick with the 10/40
        sigpic

Comment

cool. thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by mcssls View Post
            don't, it's not better lubing and can cause damage from not flowing as well. Stick with the 10/40
            actually heavier oil has better lubricating ablities thats why race engines run strait 50 and 60 weight oils. synthetic oils have far better pour points and flow rates then conventional oils that it does not matter.
            I run amsoil 20w50 in my kat.

however you are right, its not needed for normal riding conditions.

But about the clutch... if the clutch cable free play is ok and push rod adjustment is ok then its time for new plates and springs.
            I highly recommend EBC heavy duty springs regardless what clutch plates you use. Its a lot of bike wieght and power for 4 small springs. The hd springs make the clutch perform a LOT better.
            Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-06-2012, 01:24 PM.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Sure, when you're running a high volume or pressure pump. On low volume systems it can create a starvation issue and it's not getting where it's needed quickly enough to keep areas lubed. Race engines, HA I built the damned things for stock cars and a couple drag cars for several years.
              sigpic

Comment

Any engine taching out at 12000 rpm has a high pressure high volume oiling system. your not the only engine builder on this site. FWIW im a motorcycle mechanic, building bikes is what i do.

Suzuki recommends 20w-50 for a range of operating temps. if the engine was going to suffer in any way they would never recommend it.
                Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-06-2012, 10:18 PM.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                  I highly recommend EBC heavy duty springs regardless what clutch plates you use. Its a lot of bike wieght and power for 4 small springs. The hd springs make the clutch perform a LOT better.
                  Doesn't this cause heavier clutch pull at the lever? I know it doesn't bother some, but have heard others complain about not being able to pull the lever or that it is very hard. That may also be the barnett springs I'm thinking of.
                  When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Working...
                  X