X

City riding question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City riding question

What is the usual rpm range people ride at when in cities? I have tried to keep it as low as possible to see if I get better fuel economy but found that when i hit below 4-5k rpm the bike loses a lot of throttle response (the bike feels like it is really idling and if i touch the throttle it jerks as power is applied)...

My Kat, always kept it above 4500. Below that, it falls on it's face, and you aren't seeing any better mileage. Coasting up to stop lights with the clutch in helps mileage as much as anything I've done, just don't forget to show brake lights or risk getting run over.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

In the city, I always keep the bike in a gear where the RPMs are in the main power band...right around 5000 RPM. You always want to be able to get out of a situation quick...having to downshift will increase your chances of not being able to avoid a wayward driver in a cage...

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
        What is the usual rpm range people ride at when in cities? I have tried to keep it as low as possible to see if I get better fuel economy but found that when i hit below 4-5k rpm the bike loses a lot of throttle response (the bike feels like it is really idling and if i touch the throttle it jerks as power is applied)...
        Bad idea in the city!

Keep your revs around 6 ish, I'd say. Keeps you in the power curve if you need to get out of the way FAST. If you have to drop two gears to get out of the way of a truck, you're already dead... Also if you lug the motor you will typically lose fuel economy. You are not in the volumetric efficiency range that low in the rev range.

But suit yourself, I ride aggressively and keep my eyes moving so I might live to tell about my close calls. I learned to ride in Vancouver BC Canada, I survived so that must count for something. The drivers there are terrible.

Comment

6-7k
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I need to recheck my milage then.. cause i was riding in the 6-7 range and getting like 29 mpg...

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
              Bad idea in the city!

Keep your revs around 6 ish, I'd say. Keeps you in the power curve if you need to get out of the way FAST. If you have to drop two gears to get out of the way of a truck, you're already dead... Also if you lug the motor you will typically lose fuel economy. You are not in the volumetric efficiency range that low in the rev range.

But suit yourself, I ride aggressively and keep my eyes moving so I might live to tell about my close calls. I learned to ride in Vancouver BC Canada, I survived so that must count for something. The drivers there are terrible.
              Hey Jet! I lived in Van 20 years ago and loved it (once I got used to using a rust-inhibitor instead of suntan lotion). The drivers were terrible then too.

Are all of you running 6k+ on 750's? I routinely run 3.5-4k and have for 60,000km (36000m) without problems. Under 3k you're right--Kat won't jump when you need it. 6k would howl around town!

Cheers!
              High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Comment

I won't run under 6k on any bike on the street...

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  I won't run under 6k on any bike on the street...
                  Why not? My C14 barely ever sees above 5k on the ride to work, then again, at 80 in top gear, I'm only taching ~3600.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                    Why not? My C14 barely ever sees above 5k on the ride to work, then again, at 80 in top gear, I'm only taching ~3600.
                    True, not including big bores.

Comment

Working...
                    X