Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

so i got a 1993 gsx-f.!!! what should i do to it!!! (plz Help)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so i got a 1993 gsx-f.!!! what should i do to it!!! (plz Help)

i just bought it and only drove it like 15 miles, I am a new kat owner so ill drive her next year.. in the mean time i want to do some small upgrades, or mods.

i have never owned a bike and i have never worked on one either..i want to obviously re paint original blk.. maybe glossy. and give it some chrome parts. looked around but cant find much..

plz if u can give me links 2 pics and websites..ill b posting pics of the complete bike tomorrow ...
    Its not that i don't care... wait , that's exactly what is!!

For now, since you've pretty much parked it for the winter, concentrate on cleaning everything and getting to know where everything is. Read through the threads on winterizing your bike. It'll save you a lot of grief next spring.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

This will help you out also.
      My Addiction (94 600 Kat)

Addicted to Modification since... 1995!
      Electrical Tape, Zip-Ties, and Rivets are more like accents then eye sores.

Comment

Some handy mods are the coil relay mod, and lights most are easy to do and help you learn a bit more about the bikes workings. Check/replace the plugs and check the compression while your at it. Look at doing a complete tear down of your carbs. You know they will be 100% and you will also know they are good to go in the spring. Check and replace tires and brakes if needed.
        Finally, a debatable upgrade is coating your tank if it needs it. Some like the electolisis method, others use coatings, while others still say your SOL. read up and look around. There are some sharp rides on here and awesome ideas for paint schemes!
        A note on painting. Surface prep is 90% of your success in a paint job! Don't rush it!

Best of luck!!

Comment

I have to agree with what's been posted. Do all the maintenance to ensure that come spring you can ride. Anytime I get a new ride I assume the PO hasn't done any maintenance and check everything.

At a minimum I would:
          Clean the carbs
          Clean the tank
          Change plugs
          Adjust valves
          Change the oil

Comment

Also, check ebay. You'll be surprised what you can find for your bike and may give you some additonal mod ideas.
            sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
            1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
            2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
            First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
            Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
              Also, check ebay. You'll be surprised what you can find for your bike and may give you some additonal mod ideas.
              +1 ebay, good luck!!

Comment

Look around here. Probably the biggest resource on the web for Katana info. But I agree with wild bill!! Clean, learn and look at every option before you buy something. I can't tell you how many times I purchased things only to replace it shortly after because I saw something better

Comment

What should you do with it? Not waste your money on crappy bolt ons and swap in a better engine and completely upgrade the suspension and brakes.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

#1) Buy a good textile jacket.
                    #2) Lose the wife beater.
                    I've seen guys ride in wife beaters before, don't be THAT guy. I'm no where near one of the many gear Nazi's on this forum, but a wife beater? Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      #1) Buy a good textile jacket.
                      #2) Lose the wife beater.
                      I've seen guys ride in wife beaters before, don't be THAT guy. I'm no where near one of the many gear Nazi's on this forum, but a wife beater? Seriously?
                      Look closely, its a muscle shirt, not a wife beater. lol hahah... like others have said, just get to know your bike first before you start modding the hell out of it. because maybe next year, you ride it for a month and decide its not your "cup of tea", then you lose all the money you just invested.
                      Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                      Current Bikes:
                      1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

thanx.. u guys are awesome.. as far as the shirt goes.. i would never drive with just a t shirt!!! lol hell no
                        im getting a jacket gloves and a helmet during the winter!!!.. i already cleaned out the tank, and my father in law worked on the carbs., they were disgusting!.. and im not looking to make it a flashy bike!! well maybe a bit, but i am mostly concerned with brakes, suspension tires. Major parts! engines sounds a bit troubled.. dont know how to explain it but it sounds bumpy rather than smooth (if that makes any sense)

How do i check my suspension brakes and tires?? recommended spark plugs?

the bike's suspension seems fine to me. But i was told that its 2 bouncy,,, tires look good, and as far as brakes i think i should just upgrade i dont want to risk anything..

any ideas on brakes lines,suspension etc?

Comment

As for brake lines, go with G&J Aircraft brake lines. Do a quick search and you'll find the thread on here.

Take a look at the manufacture date on your tires. They do dry out just from sitting. If there's any cracks in the sidewall or the tire's more than 5 years old (do another search for tire date codes) then they need to go.

To check the forks, stand over the bike, hold the front brake and shove forward/down on the bars. Then look at the fork tubes. If they're wet then you've got blown seals. If the forks want to bounce a bit like a pogo stick then they're dry and need fluid. Since fluid isn't really an expendable item (it gets dirty, you don't use it up) if you need fluid then you probably need new seals because that's where the fork oil came out. Rebuilding forks is really easy if you've got access to an impact driver. If not then step one is to find an impact driver.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

ok seems like the tires are good and so is the suspension... brakes look and stop fine but i think im gonna go ahead and replace regardless... better safe than sorry!!!

Comment

Is it fine? I'm sure it is. Could it be better, oh hell yes. SS brake lines are like night and day, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                              X